Local Elections May 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Spoiling your ballot doesn't achieve a single thing except contributing to the turnout.

Sadly, spoiled ballot numbers are no longer reported everywhere. I've tried to get it done here with no joy. It's a stitch-up.

London-wide Assembly member voting was party-based this time. I didn't read the small-print in the pamphlet, but the main part of it implied you could vote for an individual, so I turned up with one in mind. Gave the ballot paper to the presiding officer with a note in protest.

It's a problem for me that with that style proportional representation the party gets to choose its list order. Needn't be that way.

Reactions: C R

multitool

The Tory spin doctors have spent the last 24 hours gas lighting us into believing that Susan Hall could get close or might even win.
It now seems like Khan will win fairly easily by around 10%.

Looking forward to the inevitable Laurence Fox meltdown.

Also very pleased that Susan Hall, specifically, has failed. Her campaign was based on thinly-veiled racist and anti-environmental rhetoric it would have been unconscionable for her to have prevailed.

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I think it can be an effective way of sending a message en masse, but it requires it to happen in such large numbers in a UK general election that it's unlikely to ever be registered as anything other an individual protest.

A deliberately spoiled ballot is counted exactly the same as an accidentally spoiled ballot. I know the advice from the electoral commission is to make every effort to count every vote, even if it's been completed incorrectly but a spoiled ballot still has little or no meaning. Likewise declining to participate in the process can also be interpreted as apathy so neither method of abstention is really meaningful. I think it depends on if you consider affecting the turnout stats to be significant or not.

Yes, it would depend if and how the spoiled ballot was counted. I was thinking more of countries where all the candidates are from one party, or when some households spoiled their census form as a suffragette supporting protest in 1911.

I do think not voting can be a form of protest. Candidates can't claim they have a mandate for much if only 20% of the electorate turn out.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Looking forward to the inevitable Laurence Fox meltdown.

Also very pleased that Susan Hall, specifically, has failed. Her campaign was based on thinly-veiled racist and anti-environmental rhetoric it would have been unconscionable for her to have prevailed.

I'd seen so much muck from the Hall campaign that I switched my vote from the Green candidate to Khan on the ABC principle. I needn't have worried but I'm thankful so few supported her.

Beebo

Veteran
Count Binface beat Briton First.
absolutely amazing stuff.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
I'd seen so much muck from the Hall campaign that I switched my vote from the Green candidate to Khan on the ABC principle. I needn't have worried but I'm thankful so few supported her.

I voted Khan as my second preference to a local housing campaigner last time and I felt ok with that because he promised to review the Silvertown Tunnel plan.

His review turned out to be smarmy hogwash though so I couldn't do it again.

multitool

Did you see the utterly classless Britain First prick shouting "Khan killed London" as he marched off the stage

Top Bottom