Maureen Lipman: Cancel culture could wipe out comedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
She's a lot like you in that respect.

Not really.

Every post I make on here is moaned at by someone.

Doesn't bother me one bit, but In may choose to reply.

D

Deleted member 49

I think he is Sunderland, so, wrong beer, got to be double maxim.
He'll be polishing his Bollinger pint tankard soon 🙄

StuAff

It's cute how anti-wokeists need their own special safe space for views that you can hear in any pub in the country, and then they call it Unsafe Space. I guess irony isn't their thing.
It'll be getting cancelled, no doubt (for being unfunny).

No one has or had utterly 'free speech' anyway.

Or at least not free from consequences.
Yes but in the past 20/30 years it moved from ''the law decides if something is over the edge of free speech'' to the activist, racial or for any other reason insulted, or terrorists and that is an issue.

It used to be considered 'entertaining' by some people to punch down on those less able to defend themselves, and to perpetuate damaging stereotypes in 'comedy'.

Thankfully larger parts of society have evolved, matured even.
I don't agree that because it is not shown anymore that it also means it doesn't happen, look at football and for example the abuse the black players got because they missed a few penalty's or the amount of ''supporters'' being kicked out off stadiums for making monkey noises or other abuse.
That also the biggest issue with the current ''cancel'' culture, something shouldn't be allowed or not because it's suit the opinion of a certian group or not it should be allowed because it is within the law or not.

You can still work nasty bullying, and stereotyping into your 'comedy' routine, you're 100% free to do that ..

Loads of people still do it , online.

What you can't do, is necessarily expect to get booked to perform it at a decent venue.
No you can't and you never could bullying is not comedy, if it's bullying and there are a number of laws wo can deal with that. There is however a difference between feeling bullied and being bullied. ''Stereotyping'' was quite normal i mean married with children was build on making fun off a stereotype? Why is it wrong now? or should it be read as, stereotypes that are not convenient?
That last sentence is a part of the issue, who is to decide what's ''decent'' and what not? And is it a coincidence that all these so called correct things are either left or very left?
In the end i believe it will only create more diversion and exclusion, because you can't force diversity but you can force exclusion, all those cancelled comedian's/artist etc. will find their own ''decent'' venue, and the circle continues, and then you have a venue for group a,b,c, what could possibly go wrong?

Top Bottom