Maureen Lipman: Cancel culture could wipe out comedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
How about most right wing comedy is sh1t...
Other than Boris don’t know many right wing comedians

theclaud

Reading around the chip
How about most right wing comedy is sh1t...
To be fair, quite a lot of left-wing or liberal stand-up is also dire. The only one of the ones mentioned in the link I'd heard of is Doyle, and then only really through his Titania McGrath Twitter character. Just looked at a couple of videos of the others, and I think it's fair to predict the show is going to be as bad as you'd expect of government-prescribed stand-up. But then Radio 4 has always had 'anti-wokeists' on - most of them at the helm of its flagship daily news programme.

D

Deleted member 49

To be fair, quite a lot of left-wing or liberal stand-up is also dire. The only one of the ones mentioned in the link I'd heard of is Doyle, and then only really through his Titania McGrath Twitter character. Just looked at a couple of videos of the others, and I think it's fair to predict the show is going to be as bad as you'd expect of government-prescribed stand-up. But then Radio 4 has always had 'anti-wokeists' on - most of them at the helm of its flagship daily news programme.
Never heard of any of them ! I'm quite happy with a bottle of red and Father Ted repeats....me and the kids enjoy taking the piss out of their mum's accent 😁

So Lipman can't hack anyone with views other than her own.

How unusual.
She's a lot like you in that respect.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Turns out Kearse is a failed candidate (not that there's any other kind) for Lozza's Reclaim Party. His schtick seems to be YouTube rants at camera containing little in the way of jokes or comedy writing. Shall we just remind ourselves that when Lozza whipped his guitar out he imagined he was going to sound like Leonard Cohen?

mudsticks

Squire
It's cute how anti-wokeists need their own special safe space for views that you can hear in any pub in the country, and then they call it Unsafe Space. I guess irony isn't their thing.

Yebbut there's a high risk of someone rolling their eyes at them, and even handing them a 'Kill the Bill' leaflet, if they try to play their trade in public nowadays.

Paper cuts are no laughing matter you know..

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
I'm old enough to remember Mo being lauded as
"One of us down to earth people"

For being a bit surprised at a donation of half a mil..

How times change eh,??
You're forgetting she's an actor.
And might there be other reasons someone well-off might flinch at an act of proportionate generosity by someone very well off?

Top Bottom