Maureen Lipman: Cancel culture could wipe out comedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I'm not for a second suggesting you're racist, but this statement is entirely predicated on Maureen holding the same views as her fellow Jews.

This really is as plain as day!
Not really. Lipman has form for smearing pro-Palestinians and assorted leftists with bogus accusations of anti-Semitism, as well as a record of protesting against plays etc she disapproves of for political reasons (there's nothing wrong with the latter, but it does sit uneasily with her inability to accept that others might object to her views). I took the OP to be a reference to her obvious keenness to 'cancel' others, including using the right-wing press to try and 'cancel' the former leader of the opposition.

FishFright

Muted, gagged, silenced.. . I don't really think it matters, they are either impacted directly, not booked by venues due to pressure, or self censor for fear of being dropped, not booked etc. So some people will find a voice but at the expense of others.

My view is that both should have a voice

Twas always thus but this time it's your opinions being looked at. Get used to it because it happens all the time and in this way civilisations are built and refined.

Cirrus

Twas always thus but this time it's your opinions being looked at. Get used to it because it happens all the time and in this way civilisations are built and refined.
So you disagree? People should be silenced if they don't conform?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
You either have free speech or you don't , I think that's clear.
Once you start to choose what can and can't be said or seen you're into censorship which is what 'cancel culture' is in reality.
The problem with any form of censorship is who gets to choose, and on what basis....
We accept certain forms of censorship in society already. Where does one draw lines or are all bets off?

There's also the finer point of whether we are talking about speech only verses other forms of communication....

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Veteran
Not really. Lipman has form for smearing pro-Palestinians and assorted leftists with bogus accusations of anti-Semitism, as well as a record of protesting against plays etc she disapproves of for political reasons (there's nothing wrong with the latter, but it does sit uneasily with her inability to accept that others might object to her views). I took the OP to be a reference to her obvious keenness to 'cancel' others, including using the right-wing press to try and 'cancel' the former leader of the opposition.

So Lipman can't hack anyone with views other than her own.

How unusual.

mudsticks

Squire
You either have free speech or you don't , I think that's clear.
Once you start to choose what can and can't be said or seen you're into censorship which is what 'cancel culture' is in reality.
The problem with any form of censorship is who gets to choose, and on what basis....
We accept certain forms of censorship in society already. Where does one draw lines or are all bets off?

There's also the finer point of whether we are talking about speech only verses other forms of communication....

No one has or had utterly 'free speech' anyway.

Or at least not free from consequences.

At the extreme end you'll get prosecuted for hate speech or libel.

Or a bop on the nose, for your trouble.

There are plenty more social consequences too .

That come about as a result of telling lies, or betraying trust, or from just being a total arriss to people.

Let's hope we see some of those 'conseqiences' at the next GE.

It used to be considered 'entertaining' by some people to punch down on those less able to defend themselves, and to perpetuate damaging stereotypes in 'comedy'.

Thankfully larger parts of society have evolved, matured even.

You can still work nasty bullying, and stereotyping into your 'comedy' routine, you're 100% free to do that ..

Loads of people still do it , online.

What you can't do, is necessarily expect to get booked to perform it at a decent venue.

Cirrus

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
No one has or had utterly 'free speech' anyway.

Or at least not free from consequences.

At the extreme end you'll get prosecuted for hate speech or libel.

Or a bop on the nose, for your trouble.

There are plenty more social consequences too .

That come about as a result of telling lies, or betraying trust, or from just being a total arriss to people.

Let's hope we see some of those 'conseqiences' at the next GE.

It used to be considered 'entertaining' by some people to punch down on those less able to defend themselves, and to perpetuate damaging stereotypes in 'comedy'.

Thankfully larger parts of society have evolved, matured even.

You can still work nasty bullying, and stereotyping into your 'comedy' routine, you're 100% free to do that ..

Loads of people still do it , online.

What you can't do, is necessarily expect to get booked to perform it at a decent venue.
Decent venue?

Very slippery slope.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I was pondering this last night, as you do, and whilst not the same it does remind me of.:
https://millercenter.org/the-presidency/educational-resources/age-of-eisenhower/mcarthyism-red-scare

Perhaps we need a new government role to undertake these investigations on behalf of the people... I give you The Witch Racist* Finder General!

Here's the team in action...

*change as appropriate to match the faction who are currently out of favour

Edited to add the clip

Can you just clarify what parallel you're making here? I wouldn't want to think you had the whole thing completely arse-about-face.

Top Bottom