New number plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Regular
Planning a trip/holiday to France next year and am slightly annoyed that my old number plates are no longer suitable thanks to Boris and chums moving the goalposts. so I have to buy stickers again. Except this time "UK" rather than "GB".
I knew it was coming - it's been in the news before... but you'd think the government would have more useful things to spent time and money on.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58734265

Milkfloat

It is particularly galling because after a few years we will have to change again after the breakup of the Union. To be fair, I suppose UK is more accurate right now than the former GB. In addition to this nonsense there is a whole raft of other plate changes that are coming into force to make them more visible to ANPR cameras, so it is not all bad.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Planning a trip/holiday to France next year and am slightly annoyed that my old number plates are no longer suitable thanks to Boris and chums moving the goalposts. so I have to buy stickers again. Except this time "UK" rather than "GB".
I knew it was coming - it's been in the news before... but you'd think the government would have more useful things to spent time and money on.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58734265
£1.49 on Amazon, is that really a big deal?

Pathetic isn’t it? More meaningless jingoistic crap - it’s almost as if the govt. has nothing important to do….

Archie_tect

I've read through the link but everything carefully ignores what people in Northern Ireland are supposed to display... they can't show a UK badge because N.I isn't part of the UK, but similarly N.I. isn't Ireland either... so will there be a special NI sticker?

The unification of Ireland is drawing nearer day by day.

Last edited:

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
It is particularly galling because after a few years we will have to change again after the breakup of the Union.
No, you do not have to change your number plate. But don't let the small matter of the facts get in the way of another Brexit imagined issue. You simply put a UK sticker on your car. If you did want to change your number plate, simply get one with a cross of St George on it, and that should nicely future proof you as well as being legal.

but I believe Shapps has done it to accelerate the removal of EU flags from UK index plates.
There is no requirement to remove the EU flag from your number plate. In fact I have a car, with number plates, and have no flag on them at all.

My plates have the EU flag and I won’t be changing them. No need, as I won’t be driving it abroad anyway.
That is most wise, especially as you don't have to.

What I don't understand is that you are all going on about this huge issue, but no-one is mentioning that the rules for driving in France, but no other country, is that you need to carry a breathalyser and a breathalyser is about £5 instead of £1.50. So you have to do something different in one country to all the others and you haven't batted an eyelid, you have to spend a couple of pounds on a sticker valid everywhere and it is some major bloody trauma!

Archie_tect

What I don't understand is that you are all going on about this huge issue, but no-one is mentioning that the rules for driving in France, but no other country, is that you need to carry a breathalyser and a breathalyser is about £5 instead of £1.50. So you have to do something different in one country to all the others and you haven't batted an eyelid, you have to spend a couple of pounds on a sticker valid everywhere and it is some major bloody trauma!

[Taken from a motoring organisation webpage:]
Breathalysers

France has been up and down regarding breathalysers over the past few years, but at the beginning of 2020 they finally abolished the law that meant you had to carry them. If you want to hear the full story behind their antics, take a look here.

It is worth noting that the general level of alcohol permitted whilst driving in France is lower than in the UK - 0.5mg/ml compared to 0.8mg/ml - although drivers with less than three years experience are restricted even further to 0.2mg/ml. It is best to just accept that you shouldn't drive after consuming any alcohol, until it has cleared out of your system.

Milkfloat

I've read through the link but everything carefully ignores what people in Northern Ireland are supposed to display... they can't show a UK badge because N.I isn't part of the UK, but similarly N.I. isn't Ireland either... so will there be a special NI sticker?

The unification of Ireland is drawing nearer day by day.
N.I. is a constituent country of the UK, the GB sticker was incorrect as it should have been GB and N.I.

Milkfloat

No, you do not have to change your number plate. But don't let the small matter of the facts get in the way of another Brexit imagined issue. You simply put a UK sticker on your car. If you did want to change your number plate, simply get one with a cross of St George on it, and that should nicely future proof you as well as being legal.

Firstly I did not say you had to change your number plate at all I just said change. My number plates with GB inside the European Flag will no longer be valid, I will need to either replace the number plates presumably complying with those new rules or put UK stickers over the GB part of the plates. Then in a few years do it all over again. It is not the cost that bothers me, it is the pointlessness of it all and the fact that on the 1st of Jan this year the rules changed from GB within Euro flag to GB on it's own. So we have gone from GB plus Euro to GB no Euro to UK all within 10 months. All this nonsense is just rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic.

Top Bottom