News that generates Mixed Feelings...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Perhaps I wasn't clear in the original post - but I don't at all condemn the poor guy being attacked, and I was trying to steer away from victim blaming.

@winjim summed up my feelings rather well:
I do feel sorry for the guy with the £130k watch since he obviously couldn't afford the £750k one. It's like when I bought my CdF because I couldn't quite stretch to the Croix de Fer. It's perfectly fine and most people couldn't care less, but the tiny percentage of the population who are mid 2010s Genesis bicycle enthusiasts will know that it's the cheaper model and quite frankly I would be embarrassed to be in their presence.

matticus

Guru
Perhaps I wasn't clear in the original post - but I don't at all condemn the poor guy being attacked,
I think you made your feelings about him pretty clear:

What sort of bell-end pays £130,000 for a watch? Seriously?
And that was just your opening comment!

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
I think you made your feelings about him pretty clear:

And that was just your opening comment!

Yes, I think he is a bell-end having spent £130,000 on a wrist watch. That doesn't mean that I think he should be mugged just because he has it. He is entitled to flash his louche bling if he wants without fear of it being removed from him violently or otherwise.

No, just a bit touchy.;)

If I could edit my post I'd add 'and watch fans' to the list of interested parties.

It's an interesting discussion point though, about how we ourselves apportion 'value' to things and in a related topic, how we view the spending of others.

I see no value in owning say a BMW, others do. Other see it as an essential part of how they are perceived/lifestyle. For me what I want in a car is cheap reliable transport.

FWIW, I don't see the value in a £130k watch either, but each to their own....

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Yes, it's always interesting to see how other people choose to spend their money. Part of the fun is being judgy about it, I suppose. I enjoy those 'Spend Well for Less' and 'Spendaholics' type tv shows, but I suspect some of the enjoyment is not having to address your own money wasting because you can say 'At least I don't have 14 takeaways a week'.

Cars and jewellery are prime examples. If someone wants to prioritise those because they give them pleasure, and they can afford to, it's up to them really.

D

Deleted member 28

Yes, it's always interesting to see how other people choose to spend their money. Part of the fun is being judgy about it, I suppose. I enjoy those 'Spend Well for Less' and 'Spendaholics' type tv shows, but I suspect some of the enjoyment is not having to address your own money wasting because you can say 'At least I don't have 14 takeaways a week'.

Cars and jewellery are prime examples. If someone wants to prioritise those because they give them pleasure, and they can afford to, it's up to them really.

My only concern (and then only if close friends or family) is when people spend what they clearly can't afford and other people close to them have to suffer the consequences but again if they're grown up's who am I to judge?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Well yeah, I was assuming the treats were coming out of disposable income. I know quite a few people who look to have a very comfortable lifestyle but are actually living beyond their means. It catches up with you eventually though. At the other end of the scale there are loads of folk who seem to be managing but who actually have nothing left at the end of the month, despite careful budgeting. The former are lauded as (appearing) hardworking and successful, the latter are looked down on as not striving enough to improve themselves.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
I don't think I've ever seen someone on CC start a thread about bike theft and have someone post, 'Well what do you expect if you have a £3k bike? You were asking for it'.
Not sure the parameters quite add up here.

It would be more like someone buying a £15,000 S Works and locking it with a chain lock in Central London or a downmarket shopping centre.
I have a bike worth a little less than 3k, and I almost never lock it up and leave it unattended when out and about. The cost of the bike is reasonable to me, as it is a carbon framed bike

AndyRM

Elder Goth
My initial reaction is that this is a pretty stupid theft. Those are seriously limited edition watches so if they manage to fence it whoever buys it is only going to be able to look at it. They come with certificates of authenticity and whatnot so they'll have a hard time.

A friend of mine owns a chain of super high end watch stores and I've asked him for his thoughts.

FishFright

Do people think that the £130k is just burned after the sale or does it pay wages, material costs , taxes et al and then re-enter the economy driving it along.

Or is it a big number compared to your own price watch so it must be "A Bad Thing"

The politics of envy is a cancer.

I don't wear watches or own a tv.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Do people think that the £130k is just burned after the sale or does it pay wages, material costs , taxes et al and then re-enter the economy driving it along.

Or is it a big number compared to your own price watch so it must be "A Bad Thing"

The politics of envy is a cancer.

I don't wear watches or own a tv.

True

Milzy

Although it’s silly money a decent Rolex for example will only go up in value. They can be decent investments. 130k is absolute pocket change to some people. The time is on your phone & you can buy a decent watch for around £100 that will last a life time.

Top Bottom