No Shamima Begum Thread?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sooner or later she's going to have to be allowed back, if necessary to face music and gaol time.

She cannot reasonably be left in Kurdish Syria over a incidents following her being groomed while still a minor.

Reactions: C R

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
How are we dealing with British citizens travelling abroad in order to commit acts of plausible genocide with the IDF?

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Sooner or later she's going to have to be allowed back, if necessary to face music and gaol time.

She cannot reasonably be left in Kurdish Syria over a incidents following her being groomed while still a minor.

Why do you think she will have to be allowed back ?

She is not the UKs problem anymore. She is not a UK Citizen. Have a read of the Court Judgement which unanimously supported this position

She is not the UKs problem anymore. She is not a UK Citizen. Have a read of the Court Judgement which unanimously supported this position
The court found that the decision to remove her citizenship complied with the law; Home Sec and SIAC were acting as it permits

My issue is with the fact that the decision was nakedly political to boost the career of the then HS - Sajid Javid.

Sooner or later that reasoning will fall apart. She was 15 and led astray. Prison and or some sort of rehab are reasonable consequences.

Being left to rot in a foreign shithole is not.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

The court found that the decision to remove her citizenship complied with the law; Home Sec and SIAC were acting as it permits

My issue is with the fact that the decision was nakedly political to boost the career of the then HS - Sajid Javid.

Sooner or later that reasoning will fall apart. She was 15 and led astray. Prison and or some sort of rehab are reasonable consequences.

Being left to rot in a foreign shithole is not.

Sadly for you the court have upheld the law and the decision.

If it was contrary to her human rights, the courts could have riled accordingly

Ian H

Guru

Sadly for anyone with an ounce of human decency, I'd have thought, but chiefly for Begum.

CXRAndy

Veteran
I think the reason might be that some people think it's a thoroughly unjust law that allows the UK simply to abdicate its responsibility for its own citizen.

She volunteered to join a terrorist organisation, when will people wake up to accepting that actions have consequences.

winjim

She volunteered to join a terrorist organisation, when will people wake up to accepting that actions have consequences.

Did she? That's terrible, we should definitely make sure she's put on trial for that.

As @Ian H says, it's about decency for Begum herself. I'm merely an observer of the legal scene, as are you, and my sadness is neither here nor there.

I understand what the court has said and that its decision stands unless she can succeed on a further appeal.

Neither of us can see how the practicality and/or politics will play in N years time.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I think she should be allowed to return and be charged if appropriate. Morally I think we should look at individual circumstances but legally the government is only making use of the law as it stands and it's one of the risks of choosing to take dual citizenship (or your parents choosing). They are probably looking at the danger of setting a precedent.

multitool

Shaman

Not British forces apparently.

Very few consequences. Not a single SF charged, despite plenty of evidence of executions of civilians, including children, by UKSF in Afghanistan.

winjim

I think she should be allowed to return and be charged if appropriate. Morally I think we should look at individual circumstances but legally the government is only making use of the law as it stands and it's one of the risks of choosing to take dual citizenship (or your parents choosing). They are probably looking at the danger of setting a precedent.

She doesn't have dual citizenship though.

Top Bottom