Normal Island

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman

Just listened to that podcast.

It's hard to put into words the contempt I hold for that man. His avarice, conceit and utter lack of humility, honesty and empathy is almost pathological.

But it is amusing that it might possibly be that total self-absorption that caused him to fail to spot what an utter snake Isobel Oakshott is.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Screenshot_20230523_194751_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230523_195420_Chrome.jpg

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It's a reference to how he was allegedly having an affair with a man very much younger than himself, whom he first met via his TV work when the young man was a teenager.

More stuff coming out about Harris now that he's died. Thank goodness things have changed quite a bit in how we regard this type of offending. Lazy and uncaring Met police officers notwithstanding obviously.

Insinuation is the spice of social media.

Also, "passed"! Passed where? Or who? Or what?

Fark - this new 'trend' really gets my goat. Where/how did it start? It seems to have appeared from nowhere and now almost every says it. Passed-away is bad enough, but just passed?
What's wrong with died or even expired (much loved by Hilaire Belloc)?

People talk now about their pets going over the rainbow bridge etc....
Jeez - its the woke, elitist, muesli-knitting, yogurt-eating, Guardian reading trustafarian snow-flakes, that's what it is....

matticus

Guru
Fark - this new 'trend' really gets my goat. Where/how did it start? It seems to have appeared from nowhere and now almost every says it. Passed-away is bad enough, but just passed?
What's wrong with died or even expired (much loved by Hilaire Belloc)?

What's wrong with letting people use perfectly harmless words as suits them? Death is a difficult subject, for some more than others.
Is it really ruining your day to read the word "passed"?? Hmm?

People talk now about their pets going over the rainbow bridge etc....
Is that actually all that common? Seems quite a snowflakey thing to moan about ...

Ian H

Guru
What's wrong with letting people use perfectly harmless words as suits them? Death is a difficult subject, for some more than others.
Is it really ruining your day to read the word "passed"?? Hmm?

Is that actually all that common? Seems quite a snowflakey thing to moan about ...

Language is important. Nuance and subtlety, even meaning, can get lost in platitudinous circumlocutions.

matticus

Guru
Language is important. Nuance and subtlety, even meaning, can get lost in platitudinous circumlocutions.

Sure, it's important - I would never disagree! But HERE, how is nuance, subtelty or meaning being lost? Come on, we all know what is meant!

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It's a reference to how he was allegedly having an affair with a man very much younger than himself, whom he first met via his TV work when the young man was a teenager.

More stuff coming out about Harris now that he's died. Thank goodness things have changed quite a bit in how we regard this type of offending. Lazy and uncaring Met police officers notwithstanding obviously.

Thank you, I wasn't aware of that.

Somewhat embarrassingly, Killie adopted Harris' "Fine Day" for our League Cup final outing against Hibs in 2007, for reasons I don't understand (but then our club anthem is Marie Osmond's version of "Paper Roses", which is equally mystifying).

It was anything but as we got hammered 5 - 1.

Top Bottom