Normal Island

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Etymology of Nonce is interesting (many other uses), how it came to be used as slang for paedophiles/sexual offenders doesn't seem clear - unless anyone here knows?

My guess would be ignorance of it’s meaning, has allowed it to be used as slang for several types of sex offender.

icowden

Legendary Member
What's wrong with died or even expired (much loved by Hilaire Belloc)?
How about shuffled off 'is mortal coil and gorn to join the choir invisibule?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I think 'passing' and 'He's passed' etc are Americanisms. I don't mind 'passed away' as a term personally. It seems a bit more gentle when you are talking to someone in person or talking about a person you knew. News reports etc., I prefer the straightforward 'died'.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Etymology of Nonce is interesting (many other uses), how it came to be used as slang for paedophiles/sexual offenders doesn't seem clear - unless anyone here knows?

It's supposedly an acronym of 'not on normal courtyard exercise' - therefore originally applied to all categories of prisoners kept segregated from the general prison population for their own safety.

Although like many things on the internet, that's as likely as not to be made-up.

multitool

Shaman
Well that last one is bollocks given the word predates common literacy

Also, german for fûck is ficken. And our language is germanic, hence the similarity. fornication under consent of the king in German would give the acronym Uhzdk.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Well that last one is bollocks

They’re both bollocks. That’s my point.

IMG_3577.jpeg

Top Bottom