Not extremists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Instead of yet another feeble personal attack, why not post on topic?

The notion that lenient criminal sentences are somehow forced through to soften the public up for an attack on the civil High Court is the worst form of tin hat twattery.
There was nothing in the post I was responding to that referred to lenient sentencing. You appear to have got a little confused.

Pale Rider

Veteran
There was nothing in the post I was responding to that referred to lenient sentencing. You appear to have got a little confused.

I was pouring scorn on the ridiculous notion that lenient sentences are somehow arranged to soften up the public for an attack on a different branch of judiciary.

Your appear to have got a little confused by your overwhelming desire to sneer at me.

I was pouring scorn on the ridiculous notion that lenient sentences are somehow arranged to soften up the public for an attack on a different branch of judiciary.

Your appear to have got a little confused by your overwhelming desire to sneer at me.

As already pointed out the only person saying that is you.

The point is that a public perception, which ministers and their acolytes are happy to encourage, of out of touch judges passing soft sentences. That undermines criminal justice but also the wider rule of law.

A Lord Chancellor worth his job title would put himself about defending the judiciary and rule of law.

Doing that is probably what got Buckland sacked. I'm not holding my breath for Raab doing so...

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Rather than have someone rubbishing an argument that no one has mentioned recently, we might get back to the main discussion. BlackBeltBarrister gives a rather breathless account of the government attempt (if the Times' account is accurate) to undermine the separation of powers.

Read the OP and post three and come back to me.

I did. Neither even suggests sentences are being arranged.

The point is that government and its mouthpieces bang the drum about so called lenient sentences, i.e. those that meet the law and guidelines but don't satisfy the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade, so as to undermine the rule of law.

It s a dangerous game and one which, as I said, a properly engaged Lord Chancellor would be speaking out against.

Last edited:
A bit of narrative on the Nationality and Borders Bill:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...lity-and-border-bill-repatriation-deportation

I did. Neither even suggests sentences are being arranged.

The point is that government and its mouthpieces bang the drum about so called lenient sentences, i.e. those that meet the law and guidelines but don't satisfy the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade, so as to undermine the rule of law.

It s a dangerous game and one which, as I said, a properly engaged Lord Chancellor would be speaking out against.

Come on @Pale Rider, have you accepted the OP's proper meaning?

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
Still not extremists, honest.

The Attorney General has banned government lawyers from telling ministers that their policies are unlawful, The Telegraph can reveal.

In the wake of the row over the Rwanda asylum plan, guidance was sent from Suella Braverman to lawyers last week stating that they should refrain from dismissing policies as unlawful and instead give a percentage chance that they may be challenged.

It is the culmination of more than a year of growing tensions, with policy advisers viewing lawyers as overly cautious. They perceive them to be getting in the way of the Government’s policy agenda instead of thinking creatively to push through ideas.

Lawyers, who are now describing it as the “U-word”, have hit back at the policy, describing it as an affront. "It calls into question our ability to hold the Government to account. What exactly is our role now?" one said. Others warned that ministers risked breaching international law and, in turn, the ministerial code

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-lawyers-telling-ministers-policies-unlawful/

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
No, definitely not extremists. Nothing at all like Belarus, oh no.

1C54DE95-31AB-4AE2-BD3E-76989F90C0A5.jpeg

View: https://twitter.com/mariawnorris/status/1554760657597251586?s=21&t=Ey8h3IcOfIedOCxbY3s4fQ

Top Bottom