Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

They did vote to lose the right to move to countries where the weather is much nicer!

No they didn't and you know it, we've discussed this to death so carry on feeling sorry for yourselves if you want.

multitool

Shaman
No they didn't and you know it, we've discussed this to death so carry on feeling sorry for yourselves if you want.

Err...yes they did. That is precisely what ending freedom of movement means. Losing the right. Doesn't mean you can't move, but it does mean you no longer have the right to move.

D

Deleted member 28

Err...yes they did. That is precisely what ending freedom of movement means. Losing the right. Doesn't mean you can't move, but it does mean you no longer have the right to move.

So you can still move abroad then, yes or no?

We had this out long ago when you were hiding behind one of your previous guises.

multitool

Shaman
Anyone else watching what is going on with Northern Ireland?

As much as the Brexiteers in the mainland can indulge in cognitive dissonance, northern Ireland is where Brexit has a border with reality. It has been clear for some time that the resolution has to involve Northern Ireland substantively following the EU single market for goods, but with various easements for particular products or in how goods are imported from Great Britain. But the right wing of the Tory still think that some sort of duality of rules is possible and that the EU will responds to threats, which is why talks now appear to have stalled...again, with Sunak now looking vulnerable.

Waiting in the wings in Boris Johnson, fresh from poncing around in Kiev, now presenting himself as the solution to all this mess, even though it was he who caused it. So, we are still at the mercy of the internal divisions within the Tory party, and of those would would exploit it.

Meanwhile, investment into the UK is reported to have evaporated, understandably, because who would put their money into a basket case of a country who voted for their own decline? In the case of the US, this halt on investment is explicitly tied to the situation in Northern Ireland.

Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving.

multitool

Shaman
So you can still move abroad then, yes or no?

We had this out long ago when you were hiding behind one of your previous guises.

I realise that words are hard for you, Shep, and you can't differentiate between having a right to do something and not having a right.

You "having something out" is neither here nor there.

D

Deleted member 28

I realise that words are hard for you, Shep, and you can't differentiate between having a right to do something and not having a right.

You "having something out" is neither here nor there.

So you can still move abroad then, which is the whole point.

You poor pedantic saddo hiding behind it's keyboard.

I pity people like you but you do amuse me.

multitool

Shaman
Legality isn't pedantry.

UK now has third country status which means no automatic right to live in EU. You now have to apply and be granted the right to live there as long as you fulfil conditions. You can be rejected. You couldn't before. And your right to be there may only exist as a long-term visa rather than permanent residence. Things like uprated pensions and reciprocal healthcare agreements are now at the whim of the UK government and could change.

For a chap such as yourself who lacks the imagination and guts to ever live abroad, this is of course academic.

Last edited:

Erm....yes they did. That's not political opinion, that's observable fact.

So you can still move abroad then, which is the whole point.

You poor pedantic saddo hiding behind it's keyboard.

I pity people like you but you do amuse me.

True, we can but we need to get visas beforehand and visas can be tricky (paperwork) and expensive.

Whereas, pre-brexit, UK citizens could just go and they had 90 days to prove they had a job, place to stay and an income. No need for visas.

the snail

True, we can but we need to get visas beforehand and visas can be tricky (paperwork) and expensive.

Whereas, pre-brexit, UK citizens could just go and they had 90 days to prove they had a job, place to stay and an income. No need for visas.

Imagine if shep was only allowed to drive his car for 90 days in 180? "but you can still drive your car!"

D

Deleted member 28

We know all this already but when people suggest that 'right' has been removed it's bullsh*t.

D

Deleted member 28

Imagine if shep was only allowed to drive his car for 90 days in 180? "but you can still drive your car!"

Correct, but if I could apply for a 'visa' allowing me to do so I would.

Your point?

Also the fool who posted the original comment was intimating that, using your scenario, I wouldn't be able to drive at all.

We've heard it all before.

D

Deleted member 28

You don't know what a 'right' is, do you?

The right that all UK residents had has been removed. It is now possible for some people who are able fulfill the correct criteria to gain permission.

A permission isn't a right, it's not even similar.

Hairs and split come to mind, ok our 'right' has been removed not our 'ability' to live abroad, happy now?

With any luck you lot will get the vote, re join and 'roam' wherever the f**k you please.

Top Bottom