P&O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

They have found all the necessary staff though. They are mostly from Eastern Europe and the Middle East according to reports on the radio earlier. Cheaper, already skilled and ready to go. Job done.
Allready in place....which makes it even worse.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Allready in place....which makes it even worse.
Not from a business continuity point of view, surely it makes it better? There will be barely a hiccup in the sailings.

It all seems completely legal, neatly planned and carried out with ruthless efficiency!

Now how many of you are going to cancel your trips and crossings that rely on P&O ferries? The reality of course is that the ferries will be rammed at the Easter holidays as really, like so much, no-one really gives a toss about 800 P&O workers.

D

Deleted member 49

Not from a business continuity point of view, surely it makes it better? There will be barely a hiccup in the sailings.

It all seems completely legal, neatly planned and carried out with ruthless efficiency!

Now how many of you are going to cancel your trips and crossings that rely on P&O ferries? The reality of course is that the ferries will be rammed at the Easter holidays as really, like so much, no-one really gives a toss about 800 P&O workers.
Speak for yourself....

icowden

Legendary Member
Yes. Because people who will do the job for a lot less money are likely to be just as keen to adhere to health and safety rules and look after the passengers.

The company was doing so badly it paid £250 million to shareholders.
Boo flipping hoo.

Salty seadog

P&O cancels services with 800 workers fired

P&O appear to be in serious trouble, all ships in port, sailings cancelled, workers being fired and others refusing to leave their ships.

"In its current state, P&O Ferries is not a viable business. We have made a £100m loss year on year, which has been covered by our parent DP World. This is not sustainable. Without these changes there is no future for P&O Ferries."

@Salty seadog , I can't remember if you work for P&O, or if you've said who you're employed by. Is this affecting you, hope everything is ok for you?

You are correct, however I left nearly 5 years ago.

This is a complete copycat of the action that Irish ferries carried out a while ago.

P&O have had this as a long term goal for years.

I guess this is a Benefit of Brexit but not for European seafarers.

Beebo

Veteran

I thought we had move on from this sort of thinking.

I’m staggered to think that you feel that way.

What next, immigrant children up the chimneys? After all no one really gives a toss about immigrants up a chimney.

D

Deleted member 49

I’m staggered to think that you feel that way.

What next, immigrant children up the chimneys? After all no one really gives a toss about immigrants up a chimney.
Why ? The country voted for this....it's just buisness 🙄

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Speak for yourself....
Well, as predicted, not just for myself.......
Hmmmm - finally managed to book my cycling holiday to the Netherlands with a P&O Hull - Rotterdam crossing yesterday. Can't afford to cancel it unfortunately.
This is the reality 👆 Barely anyone will be cancelling their plans in solidarity for the 800 workers who have lost their jobs. It is sad, done harshly and unfairly, but not illegally. All the people effected have my sympathy.

That companies should obey the law, no, I think we probably all want them to do that don't we?
Yep, that is the next logical step isn't it? I just wonder if we will get to this before or after companies start testing cosmetics on people from council estates?
That sort of thing is just nonsensical hyperbole. Are you going to tell us all now, on here, that you will no longer use P&O for any travel plans and use nothing connected with DP World (the parent company)?
The country voted for this....it's just buisness 🙄
I seem to remember you being in favour of a free market for labour being opened up? Here we have it. Workers from overseas bringing their skills to industries in the UK, it seems to me to be exactly what 48% of the country did indeed vote for. What is the problem, why are you suddenly so keen on keeping jobs for British workers protected?

Top Bottom