P&O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Über Member
On the Brexit note, I've read that P&O's French crews have not been replaced.
Further on the Brexit note, the RMT backed it.

Milkfloat

YES!! In fact I have crossed the Channel countless times over the last 25 years, and remembering the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster, where P&O European Ferries (Dover) Ltd were the operating company I refused to use P&O except on a couple of occasions fairly recently (twice out of 50 sailings). From what I can remember of the disaster a contributing factor was penny pinching in investing in the means to have prevented it, so I didn't want to give them my business.
The Herald was a Townsend Thoresen ship, nothing to do with P&O.

mjr

I think P&O had either recently bought TT or were in the process of buying them at the time.
Takeover/merger approved December 1986, ship sank March 1987, with a root cause of "poor workplace communication and stand-off relationship between ship operators and shore-based managers". (according to inquiry report)

Last edited:

Milkfloat

Takeover/merger approved December 1986, ship sank March 1987, with a root cause of "poor workplace communication and stand-off relationship between ship operators and shore-based managers".
I take it all back, sorry @Unkraut - I never knew. I had been travelling with P&O all these years and did not know of the association despite being Kent born and bred.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
And Julia who is still using them.
And lazybloke who would still use them if he had booked.
And the thousands of people who will travel with them in the coming weeks.

So yeah, just me :rolleyes:

Or are you all going to stop using P&O and goods carried by its parent company?
As Julia explained she cannot afford hundreds of pounds cancelling a booking. That does not mean she does not care.
There is a legitimate difference between not being able to afford losses and not making future bookings.

Further on the Brexit note, the RMT backed it.
Nothing to do with Brexit but with not enough assurances demanded after Covid bail out funds, thet paid their shareholders 250 mil, after receiving bailout and furlough payments.
Many other countries have put restrictions demands on how to use/spend bailout money and so on, that hasn't happened here so capitalisms is going to capitalism, it's pure greed pulling money out of a company so you can make the guise to sack all employees and hire cheaper ones. The reason why they didn't do that the the french counterpart is they known they wouldn't get away with it.

A few things I've noticed.

1) Any company that is going to fire more than 100 people must tell the Gov at least 45 days in advance. Seemingly, this didn't happen.
2) They've left a 146 million pounds pension hole, which may have to be paid for by the taxpayer, but they've sponsored the European Golf Tour for 147 million.
3) DP World were able to pay their shareholders 250 million quid last year.
4) DP World's profits, so far this year, have increased by 21%
5) Safety. This could be a case of paying peanuts and getting monkeys. Some highly trained staff are being fired, what are the safety implications?
6) Strange how that not one member of French P+O staff have been fired. I wonder why? :scratch:

Last edited:
Nothing to do with Brexit but with not enough assurances demanded after Covid bail out funds, thet paid their shareholders 250 mil, after receiving bailout and furlough payments.
Many other countries have put restrictions demands on how to use/spend bailout money and so on, that hasn't happened here so capitalisms is going to capitalism, it's pure greed pulling money out of a company so you can make the guise to sack all employees and hire cheaper ones. The reason why they didn't do that the the french counterpart is they known they wouldn't get away with it.

Everything to do with Brexit.

Not one member of French P+O staff have been fired.

Milkfloat

Everything to do with Brexit.

Not one member of French P+O staff have been fired.
Brexit may have emboldened the company to do this as the government have clearly indicated that workers rights are not a priority, but UK workers rights and protections have been considerably worse than any EU country I can think of for quite some time. I am pretty sure that P&O and their parent will be paying redundancy payments for this, there is no way they cannot. I assume the plan is to get rid of the workers and have them rehired by the agency on worse conditions, basically a fire and rehire but via an intermediary company.

Top Bottom