P&O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

All the people effected have my sympathy.
Sounded like it 🙄
I seem to remember you being in favour of a free market for labour being opened up? Here we have it. Workers from overseas bringing their skills to industries in the UK, it seems to me to be exactly what 48% of the country did indeed vote for. What is the problem, why are you suddenly so keen on keeping jobs for British workers protected?
Im not sure you'll find where I said I support fire and rehire or the like.Theres never been a time since I left school that I haven't been in a union and supported workers rights.Are you seriously trying to tell me they've got rid of these workers to employ the same skill set ?
Are you going to tell us all now, on here, that you will no longer use P&O
Without doubt I'll go elsewhere if using a ferry....
You'll be ok though they'll more than likely do some sort of offer in the Mail for half price sailings on P and O.
Win win 👍

Hmmmm - finally managed to book my cycling holiday to the Netherlands with a P&O Hull - Rotterdam crossing yesterday. Can't afford to cancel it unfortunately.
I guess you’ll have to content yourself with leaving excoriating reviews all over their social media.

I hope your crossing isn’t disrupted and that you enjoy your tour anyway.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Not from a business continuity point of view, surely it makes it better? There will be barely a hiccup in the sailings.

It all seems completely legal, neatly planned and carried out with ruthless efficiency!

Now how many of you are going to cancel your trips and crossings that rely on P&O ferries? The reality of course is that the ferries will be rammed at the Easter holidays as really, like so much, no-one really gives a toss about 800 P&O workers.

It would appear, the messenger is already being shot. Good luck.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Sounded like it 🙄
Just pointing out that despite the rage, P&O ferries will be full all summer. An initial outpouring of anger, but the only person on here who has admitted to actually having a booking on P&O is still going with them!
Are you seriously trying to tell me they've got rid of these workers to employ the same skill set ?
Yes, exactly that. Or don't you think that foreign workers are as good as UK ones? That sounds a bit Little England doesn't it? They were all just as good when related to Brexit, now they are don't have the same skills.
Without doubt I'll go elsewhere if using a ferry....
But the parent company accounts for around 10% of global container movements. So there will be no boycotting them.
I guess you’ll have to content yourself with leaving excoriating reviews all over their social media.
Now that will really help. If it really was a stand that needed to be taken, the ticket would be cancelled, but at least we know the exact price limit on making a point.

Now that will really help. If it really was a stand that needed to be taken, the ticket would be cancelled, but at least we know the exact price limit on making a point.
I imagine they already have the money. I don’t know if cancelling is an available option but I suspect @Julia9054 has already considered what she can do.

D

Deleted member 49

Yes, exactly that. Or don't you think that foreign workers are as good as UK ones? That sounds a bit Little England doesn't it? They were all just as good when related to Brexit, now they are don't have the same skills.
Would those workers be on the same contracts,same pay and workers rights?
Because you are bothered about that aren't you....

View: https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1504466517676634120?t=KiFDKP41U7IT1XMQhKT-ww&s=19

Sounds like they thought this through...must of been a tough decision.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Are you going to tell us all now, on here, that you will no longer use P&O for any travel plans and use nothing connected with DP World (the parent company)?
YES!! In fact I have crossed the Channel countless times over the last 25 years, and remembering the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster, where P&O European Ferries (Dover) Ltd were the operating company I refused to use P&O except on a couple of occasions fairly recently (twice out of 50 sailings). From what I can remember of the disaster a contributing factor was penny pinching in investing in the means to have prevented it, so I didn't want to give them my business.
What is the problem, why are you suddenly so keen on keeping jobs for British workers protected?
This is a very silly argument. The idea of free movement is not that 'native' workers can be made "redundant" and replaced by immigrants but that the market in new jobs is open to a much wider labour market. The 800 shamefully made redundant will no longer be able to move to the continent to find employment there due to the loss of free movement. It cuts both ways.

Not from a business continuity point of view, surely it makes it better? There will be barely a hiccup in the sailings.

It all seems completely legal, neatly planned and carried out with ruthless efficiency!

Now how many of you are going to cancel your trips and crossings that rely on P&O ferries? The reality of course is that the ferries will be rammed at the Easter holidays as really, like so much, no-one really gives a toss about 800 P&O workers.
When you say 'no-one,' you really mean 'you.'

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
When you say 'no-one,' you really mean 'you.'
And Julia who is still using them.
And lazybloke who would still use them if he had booked.
And the thousands of people who will travel with them in the coming weeks.

So yeah, just me :rolleyes:

Or are you all going to stop using P&O and goods carried by its parent company?

Beebo

Veteran
I don’t see how the numbers add up.

If they are saving £25k per employee x 800 = £20 million, which doesn’t plug a £100m hole. So something else is going very wrong at P&O.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Über Member
And Julia who is still using them.
And lazybloke who would still use them if he had booked.
And the thousands of people who will travel with them in the coming weeks.
This is a bit silly isn't it.
People that can't easily change their mind without losing money they can't afford to, someone that may have used them, but is glad they hadn't booked, as they could ill afford to lose the money if they had, and people living on an island that will still use products moved by a global shipping Corp, proves your point that no one gives a toss about the 800?

Top Bottom