Random Daily Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PurplePenguin

Über Member
I mean, it's a feels like temperature in the mid 30s, but okay.

That's only for Canadians.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Went to a vineyard today for a guided tour, tasting, and lunch. All splendid, part from the wine, which I found thin and acidic, both red and white. Give me a Côtes du Rhône red any day. I suspect that their sparkling white would have been more to my taste, but stupidly I forwent the offer on arrival.
 

Ian H

Pharaoh
Went to a vineyard today for a guided tour, tasting, and lunch. All splendid, part from the wine, which I found thin and acidic, both red and white. Give me a Côtes du Rhône red any day. I suspect that their sparkling white would have been more to my taste, but stupidly I forwent the offer on arrival.

There are a few producing half decent whites nowadays. But...
On the other hand, our mutual friend Marc seems to rate Trevibbanmill wines (near Padstow) in one of his Instagram posts.
 
Went to a vineyard today for a guided tour, tasting, and lunch. All splendid, part from the wine, which I found thin and acidic, both red and white. Give me a Côtes du Rhône red any day. I suspect that their sparkling white would have been more to my taste, but stupidly I forwent the offer on arrival.
In England?
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
In England?

You've seen the flaw.

I was rather hoping that things had moved on since my last experiences of English wine, but I can't say that they had, despite climate change and massive enthusiasm from the maker, on today's showing. Disappointing.
 
You've seen the flaw.

I was rather hoping that things had moved on since my last experiences of English wine, but I can't say that they had, despite climate change and massive enthusiasm from the maker, on today's showing. Disappointing.
I tired the Sharpham white the other week. Was okay, I thought. Bit like other cold climate wines tbh. You have to like gooseberry.

There is one near Jethro's that I keep meaning to stop off at.

My latest fascination is skin wine, or orange wine. It is basically white grapes made by a red wine method. My wife finds it nauseating, which works well if we share a bottle.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
I tired the Sharpham white the other week. Was okay, I thought. Bit like other cold climate wines tbh. You have to like gooseberry.

There is one near Jethro's that I keep meaning to stop off at.

My latest fascination is skin wine, or orange wine. It is basically white grapes made by a red wine method. My wife finds it nauseating, which works well if we share a bottle.

To be fair, today's visited vineyards are very young, and I'm comparing them with a huge region with centuries of history and a near-ideal climate (or was, till recently). But if I'm going to drink wine, it has to be better than just "hmm, OK, drinkable, I suppose". That said, I'm no fan of stuff like Beaujolais either, and I think they've been doing it for a while. I suspect though that if one's reference point is CdR, most English wines aren't going to be terribly satisfying.
 
Top Bottom