Runners and riders for the Tory Party leadership...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

There's certainly some room for improvement in our production systems here.

Many farmers are moving to lower input, lower stocking density operations, and different grazing regimes which are good for soil carbon sequestration - which give similar if not better monetary returns (due to the lower input costs of bought in feed and fertilizer)

This also allows better reintegration of trees into the landscape , aids peat restoration, and flood amelioration ..

There's a whole load more to it than that including retaining of social capital in the uplands and associated benefits, but that's just some of it

It always depends on how you cut your 'whole / true cost' analysis of course..

My nan and grandad were lifelong livestock farmers. Grandad was over from Poland during the war and their methods were very simple and sympathetic to the land and livestock. They never really had any money but a bountiful life and dinner plate. When we went round for the day dinner would not be ready until around 9pm as the morning was digging up spuds, shelling peas etc. Always served with home made bread from the oven. Good Times.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Different kettle of fish. NZ is NZ not Aus different standards etc. When we joined the EU access for the UK to meat and dairy from NZ was subject to particular and specific agreements.

We still have lamb, often intermingled with UK product in supermarket shelves of ready to cook cuts. The Anchor brand once associated with NZ butter and cheese is now on UK produce.

maybe you shoudl read what mudsticks put in her post , complaining about shipping food across the globe.....only moaning about Aus, but we have been doing it for many many years from other countries outside of the EU, but she doesnt mention it.

are there not specific agreements with australia?? or did we just say, any shoot can come over we dont care??

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I was surprised to hear, on some R4 prog about the climate emergency, that the carbon footprint of getting a New Zealand lamb chop to an English supermarket refrigerator cabinet is less than that of a Welsh lamb chop. Carbon friendlier farming practices in NZ swing it, notwithstanding the freight miles.
Who'd a thunk it? Not us, evidently.

This is indeed true and I used to have a copy of the report. I have also mentioned this many times I these debates. That mass production more efficient than small local production is not a surprise. I work in big-food, as you scale-up production the cost per unit drops as does shipping etc. But carbon footprint is only one of a number of environmental and economic indices.
But yes, frozen NZ lamb sold in the UK does surprisingly have a lower carbon footprint than small scale Welsh-hill lamb per unit.

The writing should well and truly be on the wall for global livestock and poultry production however.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Well I never, turns out in the latest patter it 'didn't survive first conrtact with reality'.

Is this really what we have to look forward to?

They're doing all they can to make them unelectable so that's a plus.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
If it wasn't going to result in further damage to the UK in general, I'd probably find the Conservative fight for leadership quite entertaining. Truss and Sunak are both all over the place and seemingly clueless. I thought it would be hard to come across as more of an idiot than Johnson, but they've managed it somehow.

Salty seadog

If it wasn't going to result in further damage to the UK in general, I'd probably find the Conservative fight for leadership quite entertaining. Truss and Sunak are both all over the place and seemingly clueless. I thought it would be hard to come across as more of an idiot than Johnson, but they've managed it somehow.

Truss is definitely an idiot, I don't know what Sunak is but this is a pair turds going for the highest office. No good can come off it.

Salty seadog

Tbf most of it had to be done due to Covid. I think we'd be worse off otherwise. Its also borrowing on reasonable terms so can be stretched out over time.

I think any government here would have reacted in a similar fashion. Furlough was needed, eat out to help out was a disaster.

Sunak oversaw the highest deficit in history. He's a f*ckwit.
He's anything but an idiot, it's just that he isn't motivated by care and compassion for the majority of his fellow citizens. In his own narrow terms he's pretty successful.

Salty seadog

who said you cant buy meat around us, just cause we done a deal with australia??? more flubber gusting from the non cooking fab foodie

Actually Fabbers is a great cook of varied dishes. He's cooked for me countless times. Just a little first hand knowledge for you.

maybe you shoudl read what mudsticks put in her post , complaining about shipping food across the globe.....only moaning about Aus, but we have been doing it for many many years from other countries outside of the EU, but she doesnt mention it.

are there not specific agreements with australia?? or did we just say, any shoot can come over we dont care??

I know what Mudsticks said.

We've had New Zealand lamb for decades. It's a settled part of our food infrastructure.

Australia is a massively bigger country than NZ. Its agriculture is more industrialised. The deal Truss reached isn't just about relatively small quantities of lamb. It also includes beef. Have you seen the size of Australian ranches? This stuff will reach our market at lower cost than the domestic product which it will displace. Maybe not in the supermarket but for institutional catering.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me

We've had New Zealand lamb for decades. It's a settled part of our food infrastructure.

Australia is a massively bigger country than NZ. Its agriculture is more industrialised. The deal Truss reached isn't just about relatively small quantities of lamb. It also includes beef. Have you seen the size of Australian ranches? This stuff will reach our market at lower cost than the domestic product which it will displace. Maybe not in the supermarket but for institutional catering.

So ok for NZ to send meat across the globe, but not australia……..no matter what the amounts, its
still globe trotting meat.

mudsticks

Squire

It will also likely replace any homegrown meat in 'ready meals' or dishes which don't have to have to state origin of all ingredients...

Plus of course no reason why it shouldn't be on supermarket shelves quite openly

The shopper is often fickle even if they could afford to buy better and more local, even if they say they prefer local or high welfare..

If high welfare / standards production methods and their products are not protected..

They will cease to be available to all but the most dedicated ,/ well heeled consumer.

In a 'race to the bottom ' on price

It's just what happens.
Once we remove the protections afforded by EU regulations.
It's only a matter of time

Some may see this as 'doomongering' but watch what actually happens.

It's happened in the US, without good safeguards, the same food system is coming our way here..

Last edited:
Top Bottom