Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
Utter bollocks. EVERY teacher is involved in pastoral care because they have a statutory duty so to do. I've taken the time to read the legislation and the stutory guidance that all staff working in schools have to read on a yearly basis. I'm also aware of the reporting responsibilities of all staff. This stuff is easily accessible. You should inform yourself.
Yes, reading stuff is great. It can never compare to say, doing stuff. I've been a teacher for a little while and as I pointed out, a vast number of my family are teachers. Teachers might have a statutory duty to provide pastoral care - in practice this usually means filling in CPOMS so senior leadership can deal with issues.

As for "a class teacher teaches", how do you envisage "teaching"? As some sort of didactic process where rows of compliant children absorb knowledge through osmosis.
I don't envisage it. That's one way of doing it which isn't very engaging. Usually a combination of demonstration, projects, audio visual aids, presentations etc is more fun.

Would you be concerned about bullying and disruptive behaviour in class if you had to send your children to a state school?
Yes, but that concerns me in private school as well. I'd be more concerned that my dyslexic child would be left to flounder or underachieve and that my child with Type 1 Diabetes and anxiety would become a school refuser or require home tuition due to lack of support.

multitool

Pharaoh
Yes, reading stuff is great. It can never compare to say, doing stuff. I've been a teacher for a little while and as I pointed out,

Lol.

A primary school peripatetic music teacher is an utter irrelevance.

a vast number of my family are teachers. Teachers might have a statutory duty to provide pastoral care - in practice this usually means filling in CPOMS so senior leadership can deal with issues

Don't tell form tutors and heads of year this will you. Or non-teaching pastoral staff :laugh:

multitool

Pharaoh
I don't envisage it. That's one way of doing it which isn't very engaging. Usually a combination of demonstration, projects, audio visual aids, presentations etc is more fun.

Riiight. You are clearly an expert. So what happens when little Blake or little Chelsea decide they are not going to play along because they come from an abusive family and their model of behaviour doesn't correspond to a class room setting ...

Oh, I forgot. Its only SLT who deal with these things

Yes, but that concerns me in private school as well. I'd be more concerned that my dyslexic child would be left to flounder or underachieve and that my child with Type 1 Diabetes and anxiety would become a school refuser or require home tuition due to lack of support.

She'd have less support because the class room teacher is likely taken up with all the far more immediate problems that you claim don't exist in the classroom.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
Riiight. You are clearly an expert. So what happens when little Blake or little Chelsea decide they are not going to play along because they come from an abusive family and their model of behaviour doesn't correspond to a class room setting ...
Generally, the TA will take them out of class, or the Deputy Head or Assistant Head might be called upon. They may have an EHCP which gives them extra support in the form of a 1:1. They may need to go to a quiet room. Your quaint notion that the teacher will tell the rest of the class to get on with a workbook while they have a therapy session with the difficult child is not borne out by reality.

Oh, I forgot. Its only SLT who deal with these things
Not only. TAs 1:1s etc. Weirdly the teachers are busy with the other 29 pupils.

She'd have less support because the class room teacher is likely taken up with all the far more immediate problems that you claim don't exist in the classroom.
The support comes from support not from the class teacher who is teaching the class. Smaller classes mean more quality time per pupil.

How nany people on here and in work are wearing a suit and tie or a uniform?

In forty-two years of work (retired now) I only ever wore a suit for interviews (both sides of the desk) and the occasional sales pitch where it seemed appropriate to do so.

I always used to wear a shirt and trousers to work, but post-covid we were told we didn't need to (as hybrid working chnaged everything so we never had face to face meetings). I actually started wotk in shirt and tie, but our manager who was a right bitch, looked me up and down and said I don't need to wear a tie. That was only because I made her look scruffy and she wnated to swat me back into my box as I was only an administrator. Other places were shirt and tie were mandatory, I actually liked it

Define uniform!
No I don't wear a uniform in the traditional sense like a policeman or soldier, nor do I wear a suit and tie anymore.
I wear a lab coat, hairnet and safety shoes in the lab and whatever the factory that I'm visiting requires me to wear/not wear in order to enter the site and visit the processing areas. These are dress rules with which I must conform - some similarity with School uniforms in that respect.
Otherwise my work uniform when visiting customers is described as 'business casual' Chinos, smart shirt, shiny shoes, jacket - never jeans or polo shirts - it's a uniform of a kind, but of my own choosing....

Traditional suits and ties seem to be confined to Sales (sometimes) and finance people, though ties are seriously on the wane.

matticus

Guru
I would guesstimate that most work "uniforms" in modern Britain are worn by the lowest waged (I can confirm this just by looking around my current site). Once you've made your way into jobs where they're not required, you're probably doing OK in life.

The Crofted Crest

I would guesstimate that most work "uniforms" in modern Britain are worn by the lowest waged (I can confirm this just by looking around my current site). Once you've made your way into jobs where they're not required, you're probably doing OK in life.

So school uniforms prepare you for a life of working in low paid jobs or, as someone upthread said, the army.

Abolish.

Pale Rider

Veteran
On very hot days in the crown court the judge would sometimes give permission for the barristers to remove their horse hair wigs, which I'm told are very warm.

I took that permission to mean I could remove my tie.

I have seen a barrister ticked off by a judge because his suit jacket was visibly unbuttoned under his gown.

Another barrister forgot to put the white tape around his neck before entering court.

The judge told him: "I cannot hear you," - court-speak for you cannot appear in this court.

The barrister was baffled, so the judge glanced at his neck a couple of times, at which point the message was received.

The barrister told me afterwards he first thought his breakfast must have been spilled down his front.

Top Bottom