Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
I don't believe you have never tried one for size.

At the risk of taking that remark seriously...

I have handled one a couple of times, but in most cases it's someone's personal attire so I wouldn't want to try it on.

There's also the matter of it being official regalia, and earning the right to wear it, so for the likes of me to plonk one on, even outside court, wouldn't go down well.

Controversially, the CPS prosecutors were given the right to wear a wig in Crown Court, even though they hadn't earned it, which didn't go down well with the crusty old members of the Bar.

The wigs are about £300, and the CPS prosecutors in Durham weren't inclined to buy their own, so CPS Durham bought a 'pool wig' for them to share.

Mr Celine

When I worked at the DWP I always wore a shirt and tie until they introduced a dress code which said I had to.

Apart from forcing men to wear ties all denim clothing was banned.
On day one of the code I wore a denim tie I'd specially made using an old pair of jeans.
A couple of male colleagues wore kilts, in defiance of the stipulated smart trousers.

The dress code was duly thrown out on sex discrimination grounds. I never wore a tie after that.

In my present employment I only wear a tie when representing at tribunals. An Upper Tribunal would probably get a suit if it came to an oral hearing.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
How nany people on here and in work are wearing a suit and tie or a uniform?

Retired now. Worked in IT (freelance). Wore a suit if meeting a potential client, to get work, or, in situations where the client required it, or, I thought they might require it. If none of the preceding applied, I wore casual clothing.

in retirement, I wear a suit for weddings (rare), christenings (rare) and funerals (more frequent).

I was, once, refused service, in a Golf Club (there as a (drinking) visitor, I am not a golfer), because I wasn't wearing a tie, and, it was after 19:00. I didn't go back.

Last edited:

multitool

Pharaoh
Generally, the TA will take them out of class, or the Deputy Head or Assistant Head might be called upon. They may have an EHCP which gives them extra support in the form of a 1:1. They may need to go to a quiet room

Ah.. so there is a TA in every class!! Which means that in a large secondary school with 100 teachers there will be approx 90 TAs (because teachers have 10% of non-contact time )

I had no idea that schools SEN departments would be the largest department by a factor of ten.

Equally, EHCPs are incredibly rare. Not even 5% of students will have them. In fact it is 4.3% (I checked)

. Your quaint notion that the teacher will tell the rest of the class to get on with a workbook while they have a therapy session with the difficult child is not borne out by reality.

A strawman. Well done Aurora
Not only. TAs 1:1s etc. Weirdly the teachers are busy with the other 29 pupils.
The support comes from support not from the class teacher who is teaching the class. Smaller classes mean more quality time per pupil.

Your post is, of course, total bollocks.

Last edited:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
In my present employment I only wear a tie when representing at tribunals.
This is liable to be misunderstood ...
Many things outside of school require some form of uniform or dress code, Scouts/Guides, Choirs, Orchestras, ...
On the rare occasions we ever do anything that could be called a concert the brass ensemble I play with - I'm not making this up - have to wear a black shirt.

It's amazing how much of everything that is dire about the UK can be laid at the door of Kenneth Baker. Also responsible for the Dangerous Dogs Act, in case anyone fancies a cross-thread barney.

And there was me thinking of Kuddly Ken and his training days....

My parting comment on this would be, uniform of any kind mandated by any organization is fair game. You don't have to be part of it. We've all at some point in out lives had to grit our teeth and fall in line when it seems like an arbitrary rule. Having to wear the right kit is hardly draconian. We spent £100 on uniform, bought from the supplier. We did as we were advised, no dramas.

multitool

Pharaoh
Why does the military insist on uniform?

Could it possibly be that it serves a function to do with self-discipline, motivation and pride?

Why are those qualities deemed as worthless in a school setting by the knee jerk crew here?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Why does the military insist on uniform?

Could it possibly be that it serves a function to do with self-discipline, motivation and pride?

Why are those qualities deemed as worthless in a school setting by the knee jerk crew here?

Or it could be so they know who to salute, who not to shoot, and to avoid any chance of individualism.

All of which are useful in a military setting, but less so for schoolkids.

multitool

Pharaoh
Or it could be so they know who to salute, who not to shoot, and to avoid any chance of individualism.

All of which are useful in a military setting, but less so for schoolkids.

Nobody wears uniform in battle, and rank is visible.

There is loads of individualism in the military, that is why "heroic" acts occur...but it always comes AFTER discipline.

Are we arguing that discipline in schools is a bad thing? Especially in schools where it has broken down.

Shît behaviour is the apotheosis* of individualism, surely?

*look it up, Pallid

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Nobody wears uniform in battle, and rank is visible.

There is loads of individualism in the military, that is why "heroic" acts occur...but it always comes AFTER discipline.

Are we arguing that discipline in schools is a bad thing? Especially in schools where it has broken down.

Shît behaviour is the apotheosis* of individualism, surely?

*look it up, Pallid
Of course most wear uniform in battle, it just differs from parade or dress uniform and officers have subtle, but noticeable differences in their uniform. (A bit like prefect badges in schools)

Discipline, depending on the sort, and self-discipline is as important in school as in the rest of life.

Uniform is one way of developing it, but not the only way.

Heroism is just one form of individuality but, at most ranks in the military, their training is about knowing their role in the achievement of objectives and sticking to it and those objectives are framed within the limits of their rank, and rarely more than one level above that. They don't want soldiers trying to be too clever by second-guessing or disagreeing with their officers.

Reactions: C R

multitool

Pharaoh
You are taking a very narrow view of the military. For example you refer to "soldiers". What about naval and air force staff?

Many of these will never go into "battle", regardless of if UK is at war. Many do very technical jobs, rather than being mindless cannon-fodder drones. Many frontline staff need to show initiative and problem-solving skills, rather than merely following commands for everything.

And yet they all wear uniform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom