Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
You are taking a very narrow view of the military. For example you refer to "soldiers". What about naval and air force staff?

Many of these will never go into "battle", regardless of if UK is at war. Many do very technical jobs, rather than being mindless cannon-fodder drones. Many frontline staff need to show initiative and problem-solving skills, rather than merely following commands for everything.

And yet they all wear uniform.

??

Reactions: C R

fozy tornip

fozympotent
"Inside, through the glass, I saw the long line of bluish unifs. Faces glowing like icon lamps in an ancient church: they had come to perform a great deed, to surrender upon the altar of the One State their loved ones, their friends, themselves. And I—I longed to join them, to be with them..."

multitool

Pharaoh
"Inside, through the glass, I saw the long line of bluish unifs. Faces glowing like icon lamps in an ancient church: they had come to perform a great deed, to surrender upon the altar of the One State their loved ones, their friends, themselves. And I—I longed to join them, to be with them..."

Hardly.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
You are taking a very narrow view of the military. For example you refer to "soldiers". What about naval and air force staff?

Many of these will never go into "battle", regardless of if UK is at war. Many do very technical jobs, rather than being mindless cannon-fodder drones. Many frontline staff need to show initiative and problem-solving skills, rather than merely following commands for everything.

And yet they all wear uniform.

I am looking at the majority of serving military who are not in technical roles, which includes fighting 'soldiers' in the RAF Regiment and the Marine Corps. Very many military who are in desk/technical jobs can be called up to fight and have to undertake firearms training regularly.

The fact that the technical military staff all wear uniform means no more than the 'fighting' ranks wearing them, other than showing them they are just like everyone in their branch of the military and part of the machine, and has little or no relevance to schools having uniforms, unless we want all schoolkids (who have not voluntarily enlisted) treated as part of the state machinery.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

Luckily that describes life under Communism not our idyllic red in tooth and claw Capitalism.

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

multitool

Pharaoh
I am looking at the majority of serving military who are not in technical roles, which includes fighting 'soldiers' in the RAF Regiment and the Marine Corps. Very many military who are in desk/technical jobs can be called up to fight and have to undertake firearms training regularly.

The fact that the technical military staff all wear uniform means no more than the 'fighting' ranks wearing them, other than showing them they are just like everyone in their branch of the military and part of the machine, and has little or no relevance to schools having uniforms, unless we want all schoolkids (who have not voluntarily enlisted) treated as part of the state machinery.

Yeah it's practically fascism.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yeah it's practically fascism.

Tbh I have no preference for uniforms in school or not, as I can see the arguments behind either option, whereas I can definitely see the benefits to the military of uniforms.

There is no equivalence between the armed forces and schools, although I understand that a lot of private schools have strong links with the armed forces...especially at officer level.

BoldonLad

Interesting that we have had no input, so far, from anyone who admitted to actually being a teacher, currently, especially, a teacher in a failing state comprehensive school in a deprived area.

multitool

Pharaoh
There is no equivalence between the armed forces and schools,

There's loads of equivalence.

Most notably the need for discipline, given that both institutions contain people from all sectors of society.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

Most notably the need for discipline, given that both institutions contain people from all sectors of society.

There's a strong need for discipline in synchronised swimming, but that doesn't give it equivalence to the armed forces...or to schools.

BoldonLad

Except in wartime, I would doubt that the Military are very diverse, although, I admit, I cannot post a link to support that assumption on my part.

Top Bottom