Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Well yes. I remember rolling my trouser legs up to impress the girls. It didn't work, not least because it was an all boys' school.

You should have time travelled back to Victorian times. You'd have caused quite a stir depending on the fetchingness of your turn of ankle.

Well yes. I remember rolling my trouser legs up to impress the girls. It didn't work, not least because it was an all boys' school.

Did it impress any of the boys though?

I think they have a point.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/yate-academy-uniform-row-mums-9020819

Their leaning shoud be more important then their skirts.

Is this the school that Dutchie went to?

Surely part of learning is that rules/codes of conduct etc. should be followed? Isn't that part of schooling for the bigger world?
If you go to that school, then you should accept follow the rules. The school also has a right to uphold those rules.
If you believe the rules are banal, impractical or unworkable, then challenge them in a proper manner of go elsewhere.

If the parents are purchasing the right kit but the individuals are knowingly wearing it in contravention, then maybe they deserve punishment for it.

bobzmyunkle

then challenge them in a proper manner of go elsewhere.
I doubt the first option would be straightforward. The latter depends on alternatives being available, friendships etc. again not necessarily straightforward.
Didn't you push the rules when you were at school? I know I did. The difference being that I didn't complain to my mam when I got pulled up for it. And might have got more hassle if I had.
Somehow both my kids got through school without wearing uniform and anarchy didn't descend on any of the schools involved.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I doubt the first option would be straightforward. The latter depends on alternatives being available, friendships etc. again not necessarily straightforward.
Didn't you push the rules when you were at school? I know I did. The difference being that I didn't complain to my mam when I got pulled up for it. And might have got more hassle if I had.
Somehow both my kids got through school without wearing uniform and anarchy didn't descend on any of the schools involved.

This.

multitool

I think the notion is to focus young people on being ambitious and their studies, rather than allowing them leeway to "push the rules", as if pushing the rules in school is a necessary part of adolescent development that every child must do or ends up psychologically stunted:rolleyes:

As I've said ad nauseum, none of this is about what the rules are per se. Its about having a rule, and having no time and energy wasted on debating that rule because that time and energy is precious and should be spent on productive and positive things rather than being a dick. See above paragraph.

Last edited:

bobzmyunkle

as if pushing the rules in school is a necessary part of adolescent development that every child must do or ends up psychologically stunted
Unquestioning acceptance of the rules?
time and energy is precious and should be spent on productive and positive things rather than being a dick.
Tools Tory/New Labour concept of education. We used to define it a bit more broadly.
Being a dick is part of growing up. Some never go beyond that.

I don't see why not?
Of course I pushed the rules...I still do in my working life. But if you overstep the mark you should stand-up and take what's coming to you, you made a choice, you take the hit, simples.
Whether a uniform or not is a good thing is a debatable point. But IF there's a dress code and you flaunt it, tough!

bobzmyunkle

I don't see why not?
Let's disagree on that then.
Of course I pushed the rules...I still do in my working life. But if you overstep the mark you should stand-up and take what's coming to you, you made a choice, you take the hit, simples.
Whether a uniform or not is a good thing is a debatable point. But IF there's a dress code and you flaunt it, tough!
Sounds like you're agreeing on that point.

multitool

Unquestioning acceptance of the rules?

You can question them. It can be explained to you. But as evidenced by this thread, there are some people who will still not get it.

Tools Tory/New Labour concept of education. We used to define it a bit more broadly.

Who is "we"? What definition of education included the need to pointlessly challenge rules?

Being a dick is part of growing up. Some never go beyond that.

Says who?

You sound increasingly like Rick out of the Young Ones

Rik-Mayall-Rick-in-The-Young-Ones-428x372.png

Yes, I read your post as saying this was possible. I've never come across a head/governors who were open to this.

You may not have, but there are still proper channels through which to have this debate, School Governors, PTA, Campaign/Petition, Local Education Authority etc, rather than just kids flouting the rules and whining about it when they get caught.

multitool

Wilful misinterpretation or an inability to comprehend? Rhetorical question really Tool, no need to answer if you're in your puerile attack mode.

No, really. I want you to lay out this mythical definition of education. Failing that, you can explain how 'education' is hampered by dress code.

If you are going to say something then back it up. Don't just drop a snark then run away crying when you are held to account on it.

Top Bottom