Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobzmyunkle

No, really. I want you to lay out this mythical definition of education. Failing that, you can explain how 'education' is hampered by dress code.
The 'mythical definition' appears to be in your imagination.
As for your second request, why should I explain. I never made that claim in the first place

Reactions: C R

multitool

As I suspected.

Big mouth. No balls.

bobzmyunkle

I must never, ever contradict Tool.

multitool

Oh you can. Not a problem. But what you can't do is post some ill-defined vapid blx and think that I'm going to accept it.

By all means, lay out your theories of education, such as they are. Until that point, you are really just a petulant teenager, Rick.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I quite liked these opinions on school uniforms:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/sep/28/uniforms-have-no-place-in-schools-today

I went to a schools which had a very strict uniform policy in Scotland and England, and one with a slightly more relaxed approach to the uniform in LA (unless you were nabbed by M Garnier, who was ruthless). They both had non-uniform days with guidelines which were generally respected (nothing offensive, too revealing etc).

If you infringed on those, you lost the right to the next non-uniform day, so a lesson you only needed to learn once.

Apart from the usual reasons given, one useful effect of a uniform policy is that it stops turning school into a very expensive fashion show in which kids who can't afford to compete are left out. Plus schools don't want to be responsible for your child's ripped/stained/stolen £80 hoodie. However strict or loose the uniform policy is there will be kids who push the boundaries. Schools just need to strike the balance and have a sensible policy of simple and cheap uniform that it's not hard to keep to, or hard to enforce.

Mr Celine

Surely part of learning is that rules/codes of conduct etc. should be followed? Isn't that part of schooling for the bigger world?
If you go to that school, then you should accept follow the rules. The school also has a right to uphold those rules.
If you believe the rules are banal, impractical or unworkable, then challenge them in a proper manner of go elsewhere.

If the parents are purchasing the right kit but the individuals are knowingly wearing it in contravention, then maybe they deserve punishment for it.

I think the point I was trying to make was lost as a result of being unable to upload the photo from the Bristol Post on my phone.
This one -
schooliform.jpg

Shoud [sic]
Then [sic]
Leaning [sic]
Equlity [sic]
Female symbol at wrong angle.

I think the school, the parents, pupils and everyone else should be more worried about the quality of the English teaching than the length of the skirts.

If a uniform is a must and skirt length such a concern, why not make everyone wear trousers?

Julia9054

Regular
If a uniform is a must and skirt length such a concern, why not make everyone wear trousers?
This was tried about 15 years ago at one of our local secondary schools for that reason. Caused such uproar and protests by students and parents that they shelved it after a year.

I think the point I was trying to make was lost as a result of being unable to upload the photo from the Bristol Post on my phone.
This one -
View attachment 5364

Shoud [sic]
Then [sic]
Leaning [sic]
Equlity [sic]

I think the school, the parents, pupils and everyone else should be more worried about the quality of the English teaching than the length of the skirts.

The mix of upper and lower case letters lol.

You have the same problem with trousers though. The uniform list will say ' black school trousers' meaning ones specifically sold for school wear. The kids will wear black skin tight legging type trousers. Some retailers don't help by selling black trousers in their schoolwear aisle that really aren't suitable, but whatever the item is, there will be students who won't keep to it.

If schools allowed kids to wear mini skirts there would still be kids who rolled them up another inch.

D

Deleted member 159

This one -
View attachment 5364

Shoud [sic]
Then [sic]
Leaning [sic]
Equlity [sic]

Girl on the left has terrible knock knees, leaning will always be problem for her ^_^

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I've just been listening to a piece on the radio about uniforms, and punishments in school in general, from the perspective of a psychologist (and mother).

What stuck out for me was her point that raising/educating children with the idea that life is going to be incredibly punitive isn't a great idea, and that understanding how to question things properly and rationally is important.

This reminded me of one of the more ridiculous detentions I got as a kid. We were playing cricket in the playground, using a plastic bat and a tennis ball, which was allowed, but I leathered probably my finest shot ever and smashed a teacher's car window. The teacher's wasn't supposed to be parked where he was, but I got a month's detention for it.

My protestations that I'd done nothing wrong fell on deaf ears. My parents were raging. Fun all round. The (sort of) irony was that it was my history teacher's car, and I ended up winning the history prize that year, although some concerns were expressed about my morbid curiosity around mediaeval torture.

As for those signs, I quite like them, especially as I hope they've been done that way to make a point.

"Now look girls, these signs are all over the place. They just won't do. We have standards don't you know!"

"Yes sir, but maybe if we'd spent more time on being educated than worrying about some proto-fascist wandering the halls with a tape measure we'd have written them properly."

multitool

I've just been listening to a piece on the radio about uniforms, and punishments in school in general, from the perspective of a psychologist (and mother).

What stuck out for me was her point that raising/educating children with the idea that life is going to be incredibly punitive isn't a great idea, and that understanding how to question things properly and rationally is important.

So let's scrap all school rules and punishments then.

Great idea.

Or perhaps let's just carry on doing what we do. Which is have rules, which are rational, and explain to children the rationale.

This one -
View attachment 5364

Shoud [sic]
Then [sic]
Leaning [sic]
Equlity [sic]

I agree. They should focus on their lessons rather than trying to flout and make an issue out of clear school rools....
I also agree that they should have a trouser option as well, but as Aurora and Julia say, the same issue arises there, same as ties etc. etc. ad nauseum....

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
So let's scrap all school rules and punishments then.

Great idea.

Or perhaps let's just carry on doing what we do. Which is have rules, which are rational, and explain to children the rationale.

Did I say scrap all rules and punishments? No. No I did not.

Your last couple of sentences are more in line with where I'm coming from. I suppose I'd just like to see a greater deal of flexibility and understanding around those rules, which I thought my example indicated.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom