Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
A well balanced, thought provoking article imo. Unlike the usual dross journalists write about what goes on in schools.

I thought it was pretty good too. That school sounds hellish though. Fully expected the head to have some sort of military background but apparently not.

multitool

A well balanced, thought provoking article imo. Unlike the usual dross journalists write about what goes on in schools.

I think the salient point is the quote from the parent who says much of the commentary on this school is decontextualised. He doesn't say this, but this is done deliberately for soundbite headlines that cause outrage and encourage clicks.

You mugs. You don't even realise you are being manipulated.

(not you Julia)

Last edited:
It's interesting that the article suggests that the school goes out of its way to promote the image of being super strict, even militaristic, in character, even if that isn't entirely the case.

The effect of this will be to attract parents who know their children are already quite self-disciplined and motivated. It will also attract parents who share it's ethos and are very supportive of schools with strong discipline, who will back the school in implementing their regs. It will deter parents who aren't supportive and who know their kids will rail against strict rules. Who wants to deal with school ringing every week over 'minor' infringements?

So in effect, projecting this image means the school almost becomes a selective one, with parents weeding themselves out, leaving only the highly motivated families to apply. That will be great for results.

There might be a few families who think such a school will sort out their child's challenging behaviour but most won't want the hassle that this will entail.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Some interesting chat on 5 Live this morning about detentions/punishment this morning. I particularly liked the analogy from a head of two primary schools, who adopt a values based approach to punishment, likening a detention to slowing down at a speed camera; it's a short term solution that doesn't necessarily address a potentially long term problem.

multitool

You'll be horrified to learn that in many schools with a binary behaviour policy it runs hand in hand, and is underpinned by, a values based system.

Frequently, those who transgress are exactly the same people who do not delay gratification. They choose short term gain over greater longer term advantage. Restorative justice/values does not work with them, which is why schools are moving away from it.

multitool

This seems to fit in this thread:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-68441335

A school spying on pupils' homes? What bizarre netherworld have we reached?

What world?

A world where some high profile deaths of children at the hands of abusive parents (Daniel Pelka etc) has resulted in schools having a statutory safeguarding duty to investigate long-term absence...particularly if there are already safeguarding concerns.

Doesn't look good if a kid is murdered and when asked about it the school says "Dunno. We haven't seen them for three months".

See also laws concerning FGM etc.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
17 schools and only 720 students, no wonder they are desperate to find missing students 😊

Yes, I enjoyed this bit:-
A secondary school is monitoring families' bins, cars and post to crack down on unauthorised pupil absences.
Followed by the bit that explained that they aren't doing this at all. They are doing home visits (usual) and just looking for clues as to whether people are at home or not at home as part of their safeguarding if doors are not answered (also usual).

It really is a badly written article though. 4/10 for Victoria Scheer

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Yes, I enjoyed this bit:-

Followed by the bit that explained that they aren't doing this at all. They are doing home visits (usual) and just looking for clues as to whether people are at home or not at home as part of their safeguarding if doors are not answered (also usual).

It really is a badly written article though. 4/10 for Victoria Scheer

Generous, IMHO.

multitool

Looking in bins and checking for heating being on is just a bit different. That's some proper Stasi level behaviour IMO.

It might look like that at a glance, but I can think of a whole set of circumstances where it would be reasonable.

As ever, it's no good just hearing a fraction of a story.

I mentioned FGM upthread. There's also forced marriage. Most of this happens when a child is taken abroad. The first indication of this might be when a child is unexpectedly absent for a period of time.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I cannot think of a single reason I'd find acceptable for seeing some random observing my bins.

As for looking to see whether the heating is on, what on earth is that meant to prove?

Post on doorsteps? Cars on driveways?

Absolute bullsh!t.

Top Bottom