Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121

Perhaps schools can commission the same people that make "TV Licence detector vans" to make child detector vans? Would save rummaging through bins and filth looking for kids....

bobzmyunkle

Can't they just pay Zukerman and his pals a few bob for the info?

multitool

I cannot think of a single reason I'd find acceptable for seeing some random observing my bins.

How likely are you to murder your children? Or harm them?

There are all sorts of ways in which state institutions monitor people when a need is perceived.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
How likely are you to murder your children? Or harm them?

There are all sorts of ways in which state institutions monitor people when a need is perceived.

Whataboutery.

And I know that. But the measures being taken by this school are, in my opinion, absolute nonsense and won't do anything, or protect anyone.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
OK. So in your view what steps should the school take? None?

Something that might actually make a difference perhaps? Actual contact, rather than checking up on bins, heating, post on doorsteps or cars on drive ways.

They're all flawed "solutions" in many ways.

Do I know what would be more effective? Nope. And I wouldn't pretend to either. But I suspect that weird observing would put people on the defensive and they'd find ways to get around it.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Something that might actually make a difference perhaps? Actual contact, rather than checking up on bins, heating, post on doorsteps or cars on drive ways.

They're all flawed "solutions" in many ways.

Do I know what would be more effective? Nope. And I wouldn't pretend to either. But I suspect that weird observing would put people on the defensive and they'd find ways to get around it.

I would have thought that those things happen because of the difficulty for the schools to get actual contact.

Absence from school is not always caused by the schools but the schools have the responsibility to try and deal with it, so post event 'solutions' are bound to be flawed.

multitool

Do you realise that they are trying to make contact by going round?

They aren't just spying. They are knocking on doors, then if no answer looking for clues as to whether people are away, in the house and not answering, or out.

And this is likely to be for children who are persistent absentees.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Do you realise that they are trying to make contact by going round?

They aren't just spying. They are knocking on doors, then if no answer looking for clues as to whether people are away, in the house and not answering, or out.

And this is likely to be for children who are persistent absentees.

Yeah. I realise that.

Maybe I jumped the gun with my Stasi comment. It's more like Junior Cluedo.

multitool

Anyone can criticise. Its the easiest thing in the world. But really you ought to show how you would devise a better approach.

So far your only 'solution' is that you would "make contact".

D

Deleted member 121

I don't doubt that they've got an attendance problem but to me, i think this story has been over-exaggerated in the first place, checking to see if steam is being released from the boiler flue? Captivating detective work... But i think the reality is that it's been exaggerated on purpose to create attention in the press in order to further pressurise the parents to send their kids to school. It's the mass shaming approach and It'll probably work for the most part. The Principle probably can't quite believe how well it worked whilst he was being interviewed by a BBC journalist. He's ahead of all of us in here...

multitool

I dunno.

He's not naming parents, so I'm not sure they would feel shame. I suspect its about really entrenched cases of absenteeism with parents lying about reasons. It Doncaster. He's not going to having students nicking off for a 2 week skiing holiday in Klösters.

My gut feeling is that this is a school under the 'scope for attendance figures (possibly from Ofsted) and the head is trying to show that the school is being proactive and taking the problem seriously. Naturally the media has got hold of it and spun it for outrage clicks (paging AndyRM) by making it look like schools are spying on families.

multitool

And lo...

This school had an Ofsted inspection last year and failed. Second to worst grading. Poor attendance cited high up in report meaning it's a major concern
Screenshot_20240307_055145_Drive.jpg

New head appointed post inspection. Monitoring visit a bit later. Attendance again cited as still a major issue although improving

Screenshot_20240307_055111_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 121

I wonder why sixth form performs much better? Ever so slightly more maturer i suppose, less bullying and so forth.

multitool

I wonder why sixth form performs much better? Ever so slightly more maturer i suppose, less bullying and so forth.

Some element of students choosing to be there I suppose. Plus it might run as a school within a school. That happened a few years back to a school in the town up the road. IIRC the overall judgement was Inadequate, but the 6th form was judged as good.

Top Bottom