Sexual abuse by teachers and coverage in the News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ebikeerwidnes

Hi all

Just positing this as two different stories are currently in the news

Firstly - the female teacher who is accused of having sex with 2 pupils (or ex pupils - just - as she claims)

Stories about this - e.g. Link here - have been in the major papers for several days - closely following the trial

Secondly - a male HEAD teacher from a school in Bangor who has now been found guilty of sexual assault with at least four girls from the school where he was the Head - link here

coverage really only in the local and general North Wales papers - witha short article on the BBC/ITV sites when he was convicted

Now - I should point out that my daughter went to his school when she was younger so I have a personal interest. I was also a teacher for many years further along the North Wale Coast and lived in Bangor so I knew a lot of people connected to Education in the area - and we heard a lot of strange stories about him - nothing sexual but bullying and assault (of pupils and staff) that no other teacher or Head would have dared to even think of doing - but they were just stories - maybe?

Anyway - interesting comparison - female teacher has sex with 2 pupils - lots of coverage nationally
Male Head teacher sexually assault several girls at his school - less coverage except locally

Both massively inappropriate and deserving of heavy punishment - but the difference in coverage is interesting???

Ian H

Guru
Hi all

Firstly - the female teacher who is accused of having sex with 2 pupils (or ex pupils - just - as she claims)

Stories about this - e.g. Link here - have been in the major papers for several days - closely following the trial

Secondly - a male HEAD teacher from a school in Bangor who has now been found guilty of sexual assault with at least four girls from the school where he was the Head - link here

coverage really only in the local and general North Wales papers - witha short article on the BBC/ITV sites when he was convicted

Now - I should point out that my daughter went to his school when she was younger so I have a personal interest. I was also a teacher for many years further along the North Wale Coast and lived in Bangor so I knew a lot of people connected to Education in the area - and we heard a lot of strange stories about him - nothing sexual but bullying and assault (of pupils and staff) that no other teacher or Head would have dared to even think of doing - but they were just stories - maybe?

Anyway - interesting comparison - female teacher has sex with 2 pupils - lots of coverage nationally
Male Head teacher sexually assault several girls at his school - less coverage except locally

Both massively inappropriate and deserving of heavy punishment - but the difference in coverage is interesting???

The comparative rarity of it being a female teacher will be one reason. Perhaps the story is seen as more salacious (= sells newspapers).

AndyRM

Elder Goth
This should be "fun"...

There's so much to address and unpick around appropriately educating children about sex and relationships that it's next to impossible to know where to begin.

The government thinks it's appropriate to shield children for as long as possible, apparently, which is an absolutely terrible idea for a variety of reasons.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
The comparative rarity of it being a female teacher will be one reason. Perhaps the story is seen as more salacious (= sells newspapers).

'Phwoar, I would have at 15' is probably better engagement than 'dirty old nonce'

Papers have (obviously) chosen pictures of her looking pretty and of him looking sinister.

Similar thing happened at my school. Male teacher aged 32 was having affair with female student aged 16. It was going on for a while, until they were found out. He was asked to resign. Nothing in the local news or anything (this was mid 90's though). If they are pupils then it's a safeguarding issue. If under 16 then it's more serious. But I think an older male will always be viewed as more predatory because that sells more papers

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Hi all

The Headmaster case was reported on BBC National News, the other case you mention, I wasn't actually aware of.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

The latest figures I can find suggest that 76% of teachers are Female?, while it is true that male teachers are more "common" in secondary schools, they still comprise only 35% of the classroom teacher workforce.

I agree about the salacious aspect, nothing like an "experienced older woman" fantasy for the average teen age boy, although, I am not sure that demographic are the major buyers of Newspapers, but, plenty of "clicks" from that sector, perhaps.

https://explore-education-statistics.service.gov.uk/find-statistics/school-workforce-in-england

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ebikeerwidnes

The Headmaster case was reported on BBC National News, the other case you mention, I wasn't actually aware of.

Didn;t see that
The female teacher case has been on the front page of the Metro for days and days
The Head seems to have been reported when the verdict came out but that is all - but it looks like I have not seen everything!

BoldonLad

Didn;t see that
The female teacher case has been on the front page of the Metro for days and days
The Head seems to have been reported when the verdict came out but that is all - but it looks like I have not seen everything!

OK. The Metro is the only Newspaper (in paper form) I read, but, only on days when I travel on our local Metro System, which I have not done for some weeks, due to my wife's ill health. Otherwise, I would no doubt have seen it.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Didn;t see that

These were the priorities on Tuesday...

IMG20240516171555.jpg

Top Bottom