Sooner or later, and, now it has happened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or it suggests our processes are not half as hostile as posters on this board claim.

I don't know how much money our notional Yemeni has, but a legitimate return trip would be a lot cheaper than the tens of thousands paid to the criminal gangs.

There has to be a reason why the notional Yemeni chooses to pay much more for a much more hazardous and chancy journey.

It can only be they don't want to arrive in the UK under their own name.

The majority of boat people arrive with literally no documentation.

Why would you deliberately chuck your documents into the channel?

The only rational explanation is you know those documents would disclose information which would torpedo your claim.

There's loads of literature out there about Asylum routes and why people might destroy documents; you're just raising straw men.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I don't know if I even have a valid passport any more. I know for a fact that one of my children does not. I don't even know how to make a visa application or whatever, even for France because I've never had to do it.

So?

icowden

Legendary Member
Well the ''news''papes covering the pizza story (which in all fairness was a column not a news article) would have made a problem out of £35 a week too. Btw assuming that housing is covered i don't get how you need charity for £35 a week.

Isn't that rather missing the point? The story that I published wasn't about some Andy Capp, dole scrounger from Afghanistan. This guy was training to be a Paediatrician. We need those. Process his sodding asylum claim and then he can work, and pay tax, and improve life for himself and for other people. He won't need £35 quid a week and social housing.

Let's stop treating these people as if they are scum. They have qualifications, training, skills. What they don't have is a safe place to live and use those skills. Sure, if they start running drugs or whatever send 'em back. But those people are a very very very small minority. The majority just want somewhere safe to work and live. They will work incredibly hard to ensure that their families and community are supported.

People like Priti Patel just won't let them because they came without paperwork.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

I can’t imagine trying to get by on £5 a day to provide me with three meals a day, sanitation and clothing. It’s no wonder they need extra support from charities.

It would be necessary to know the exact breakdown of what is provided, and what is not, plus, is it £5/day/head (for a family or group living together), but, I would have thought that £5/day would barely cover gas/electricity in winter.

It is a few years ago now, but, in one of my volunteer roles, I did work our a food budget to feed one person for a week at £16. It was based purely on cost and not healthy eating, plus, it was not. exactly exciting! Not saying I would want to eat like that, it was an exercise in what was possible, in dire circumstances. Jamie Oliver it was not ;)

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
It would be necessary to know the exact breakdown of what is provided, and what is not, plus, is it £5/day/head (for a family or group living together), but, I would have thought that £5/day would barely cover gas/electricity in winter.

As I said, it’s £5 per day to provide yourself with all your food, sanitary items and clothing.
(Hardly the land of milk and honey that someone else suggested.)

It is a few years ago now, but, in one of my volunteer roles, I did work our a food budget to feed one person for a week at £16. It was based purely on cost and not healthy eating,

What year was that and how do you think a similar exercise would fare today?

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

As I said, it’s £5 per day to provide yourself with all your food, sanitary items and clothing.
(Hardly the land of milk and honey that someone else suggested.)

What year was that and how do you think a similar exercise would fare today?

It is a Long time ago! I first did it in about 1992, when I was working to a figure of £10/week. Then, later, I think it would have been around 2005, revised and updated, working to a figure of £16/week.

I should say that my figures didn’t include clothing or “sanitation”. The latter can be surprisingly costly!

I think I have probably disposed of my workings, but, if this crap weather persists, I may have another go, just to amuse myself. At guess, I might be able to manage something like £20-£25/week for food, but, I am not promising!

It is a Long time ago! I first did it in about 1992, when I was working to a figure of £10/week. Then, later, I think it would have been around 2005, revised and updated, working to a figure of £16/week.

I should say that my figures didn’t include clothing or “sanitation”. The latter can be surprisingly costly!

I think I have probably disposed of my workings, but, if this crap weather persists, I may have another go, just to amuse myself. At guess, I might be able to manage something like £20-£25/week for food, but, I am not promising!

I suspect that's on the low side of achievable though my dinner tonight is based around Lambs Hearts at £2.47 for three which would probably feed a family of four with a few quids' worth of root veg to bulk them out.

In reality I'm cooking for myself as the OH is vegan. Probably manage one portion for eating tonight and two to freeze.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

I suspect that's on the low side of achievable though my dinner tonight is based around Lambs Hearts at £2.47 for three which would probably feed a family of four with a few quids' worth of root veg to bulk them out.

In reality I'm cooking for myself as the OH is vegan. Probably manage one portion for eating tonight and two to freeze.

I don’t doubt you are correct. I said earlier, my efforts were to demonstrate what COULD be achieved. It was basic stuff, with no consideration for that very necessary human thing, ie a bit of enjoyment. It also took no account of an individuals likes and dislike. I am most definately NOT suggesting that it would be life at the Ritz! ;)

D

Deleted member 28

I don't know if I even have a valid passport any more. I know for a fact that one of my children does not. I don't even know how to make a visa application or whatever, even for France because I've never had to do it.
Stop moaning then as without a valid passport you won't be going abroad any time soon and from what I've picked up your kids are a little young to be studying overseas anyway?

Top Bottom