Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

I haven't listened to much of the Starmer speech to be honest, but the bit I did hear was about his concern for people's cannabis smoke entering children's bedroom windows and harming them.
Am I going to have to tell him how to shut a window ?

monkers

Guru
Am I going to have to tell him how to shut a window ?

Maybe, or tell him to wear ear plugs so he doesn't have to hear the term 'low level crime'.

D

Deleted member 49

I'd like politicians to be able to carry more than one thought in their head at the same time.
What are those thoughts from him ? A Labour leader quoting Thatcher ffs...Seriously if Starmer is what's lined up to be the next PM....were fecked.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 49

Why couldn't we have had Corbyn?

(oh...we did.)
Don't you just love Starmer fan boy Tools obsession with moving on....you mention Corbyn more than me lol.
#winning
You haven't been sleeping with your window open have you Tool ?

multitool

Shaman
Corbyn's failure (twice) has cost us what will be another7+ years of Tory government.

And here you are bitching about the only person around likely to end it.

D

Deleted member 49

Corbyn's failure (twice) has cost us what will be another7+ years of Tory government.

And here you are bitching about the only person around likely to end it.
Desperate ...you haven't got a fecking clue.

D

Deleted member 49

Well enlighten us o grand cognescenti
Strikes, mortgages up ,people can't afford the heating on, queues at foodbanks,
But feck me you know what gets on my goat...the smell of weed 🤣
#winning

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Your question was not posed to me, and of course opinions will vary.

If you ask me, it isn't possible to reach PM without an ego which is outsize to what is usual, then it tends to grow with observable complacency. A large parliamentary majority cements the idea in the egoist that everybody loves them. That's why narrow majorities and a few losses in the voting lobbies helps to apply an inward pressure to the otherwise ballooning ego.

Blair wanted to go along with Bush's false dichotomy of 'you're either with us or against us' because his ego wanted the world to see he was playing in the big boys game at the big boys table.

Personally I think Blair deserved to be committed to jail for his part but the offence of Misconduct in Public Office did not exist at that time, but followed along shortly after in 2003.

I remember on hearing Robin Cook's wonderfully eloquent and heartfelt plea in his cabinet resignation speech, and the impassioned speech from Tony Benn, that parliament could not in good faith vote for war, but they did. The Tories love to condemn Blair, but how quickly they think we will forget how they played their part - they voted for it too, despite Cook at least alluding to the fact that Blair was lying.

Continuing the ego theme, and people might understand my objection to Johnson ever becoming PM, and my fear that a big majority would inflate his ego further with the result of damaging the country. I feared that if the USA went to war with Russia that Johnson with his Churchillian pretensions would drag us quickly into a war that escalate to world war.

Maybe what we need is a limit to the number of years a PM can serve in the UK as in other places?

Is this true?, google suggests it is a very old common law offence https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/misconduct-in-public-office

Agree with the ego comments, and, the risk of large majorities.

monkers

Guru
Is this true?, google suggests it is a very old common law offence https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/misconduct-in-public-office

Agree with the ego comments, and, the risk of large majorities.

I think it is. I posted the extract from the CPS website which is usually an excellent source. If they have it wrong I'll be surprised but my apologies in advance if that proves to be so. I'll ask my niece when I next see her, she's pretty hot on this stuff and has sources that I don't have access to.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/misconduct-public-office

multitool

Shaman

View: https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1638887502025981952?s=20

download.jpeg.jpg

Top Bottom