Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Jenny Chapman goes on to give a cogent response.

I guess I must have missed the episode where 'cogent' underwent a reversal of meaning.

Anyway, here's a good piece from Nesrine Malik which I think articulates pretty well why all normal people hate these freaks.

Reactions: C R

multitool

Anyway, here's a good piece from Nesrine Malik which I think articulates pretty well why all normal people hate these freaks.

You pretending to be normal now, claudine? :laugh:

"Corpspeak has taken over not because politicians are hiding something, but because they have nothing to say."

There's a truth in here, but it isnt quite what Malik is pretending it is, and that is that they can't say what certain people want them to say because it would be a lie that would be exposed in short order.

The truth is the public consistently over-estimate the power of government to shape anything in any sort of determined way, and that includes the economy. They can tinker at the edges, but for every positive thing they aim to do there will be negative consequences for someone, often unforeseen. Nothing that they choose is cost-free.

Labour will take on a country in a dire situation, with institutions that are crumbling, a demographic timebomb set to explode and an economy in a precarious state.

Nobody wants to hear this though, do they.

D

Deleted member 49

There's a truth in here, but it isnt quite what Malik is pretending it is, and that is that they can't say what certain people want them to say because it would be a lie that would be exposed in short order.
Yet Starmer gets himself voted leader on a pack of lies and that's ok...then tells many it's members if you don't like it you can feck off ?
The truth is the public consistently over-estimate the power of government to shape anything in any sort of determined way, and that includes the economy. They can tinker at the edges, but for every positive thing they aim to do there will be negative consequences for someone, often unforeseen. Nothing that they choose is cost-free.
Tinkering at the edges is the best were going to get...no vision and nothing progressive about this Labour party,not even trying.
Labour will take on a country in a dire situation, with institutions that are crumbling, a demographic timebomb set to explode and an economy in a precarious state.

I think exactly the opposite...I'm sick to death of hearing it.Change it,offer some alternatives.

Change it,offer some alternatives.

Exactly this. Imaginative and radical change is the only way out of the dire situation for ordinary folk. Anything else will produce more of the same decline, even without the looming climate disaster.

theclaud

Reading around the chip

Let's just say I'm working on it

The truth is the public consistently over-estimate the power of government to shape anything in any sort of determined way, and that includes the economy. They can tinker at the edges, but for every positive thing they aim to do there will be negative consequences for someone, often unforeseen. Nothing that they choose is cost-free

You keep saying this, so I'll have to assume you mean it, but I don't buy it. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that score - persuading people that we can't really change things is, after all, the entire raison d'être of Starmer's Labour. Government has been very determinedly shaping things for as long as I can remember - unfortunately very little of this shaping has been in the interests of ordinary people.

Labour will take on a country in a dire situation, with institutions that are crumbling

It was literally in power for 13 of the last 26 years.

multitool

"Corpspeak has taken over not because politicians are hiding something, but because they have nothing to say."

Exactly this. Imaginative and radical change is the only way out of the dire situation for ordinary folk.

Isn't this what Brexit was about?

Imagining ourselves into a better future. I'm sure if we all imagine really hard it'll work.

multitool

Let's just say I'm working on it

You keep saying this, so I'll have to assume you mean it, but I don't buy it. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that score - persuading people that we can't really change things is, after all, the entire raison d'être of Starmer's Labour. Government has been very determinedly shaping things for as long as I can remember - unfortunately very little of this shaping has been in the interests of ordinary people.

It was literally in power for 13 of the last 26 years.

Yes. But which 13.

Isn't this what Brexit was about?

Imagining ourselves into a better future. I'm sure if we all imagine really hard it'll work.

Not really, no. The trick, obviously, is to make the right changes. I’m pessimistic about them happening but your alternative of welcoming more of the same but with a red tinge doesn’t appeal at all.

multitool

Why is it, do you think, that the Labour party are not going for Adam's favoured policies (eg renationalisation of everything) given that there are no downsides, money is free, and it is popular with everything?

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
What's the point of voting for a party that's openly committed to changing nothing? Vote for a pack of demonstrable liars and backstabbers who have pledged to continue the Tories' crusade of horrors, in the hope they're lying about that, too?

At least there's a sense in which the Tories are honest monsters.

Top Bottom