Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Why is it, do you think, that the Labour party are not going for Adam's favoured policies (eg renationalisation of everything) given that there are no downsides, money is free, and it is popular with everything?

Ignoring the caricature points for a minute, it's because they are strongly ideologically opposed to most of them, constitutionally averse to democracy, and are the class that benefits from the status quo.

D

Deleted member 49

Why is it, do you think, that the Labour party are not going for Adam's favoured policies (eg renationalisation of everything) given that there are no downsides, money is free, and it is popular with everything?
Who said money is free ? I think that private finance is more costly than state funding.You believe the media and politicians when they tell us we can't afford it ? I don't.Tax the wealthy more for a start,in fact tax higher earners end of, personally speaking I can't be arsed with anyone saying they don't want to pay any more tax,I pay enough blah blah..Tough if you're earning that much, you can afford it.Close loopholes on tax dodges etc,you get my point ? You want a fairer more equal country you have to change things.Were still a wealthy country,there should be no such thing as people relying on food banks,kids being hungry or the elderly scared to put the heating on.
The return of New Labour is the last thing we need...no matter how much you want to get your Tony posters back out.

What's the point of voting for a party that's openly committed to changing nothing? Vote for a pack of demonstrable liars and backstabbers who have pledged to continue the Tories' crusade of horrors, in the hope they're lying about that, too?

The very faint hope they might do something useful once they've got in? Least worst option? I know; it's not really much to cling to. Sign of how low our aspirations have fallen.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

pubrunner

The truth is the public consistently over-estimate the power of government to shape anything in any sort of determined way, and that includes the economy. They can tinker at the edges, but for every positive thing they aim to do there will be negative consequences for someone, often unforeseen. Nothing that they choose is cost-free.

Labour will take on a country in a dire situation, with institutions that are crumbling, a demographic timebomb set to explode and an economy in a precarious state.

Nobody wants to hear this though, do they.
The Labour government managed to implement the NHS in 1948, during very difficult circumstances - it was a very positive thing and I can't think of negative consequences (for the individual).

Yes, Labour will take on a country in a dire situation - much the same as any government in the last 50 years.

I think it shameful, that Starmer is U-turning on pledges that he made in 2020 - when he promised to abolish student-paid university fees - this change is (apparently) due to the fact that the Conservatives have 'messed up' the economy over the last three years. {The fact is, they've been 'messing up' the economy for much longer than that}.

With perhaps 18 months to go before an election, Starmer is getting in his excuses very early - I've no idea what he offers, other than being Tory-lite.

I think that ending university tuition fees would be a great achievement for Labour - I wonder what Tory policies that they will undo/change/improve ?

Starmer is a long long way from the late 90s Labour leadership who at least, seemed to offer something positive, and seems to be more of the late, tired Gordon Brown era of mess. Labour are so out of touch with the working people they say they represent, they can't even see it. Many millions of people have no representation now.

Last edited:

pubrunner

Who said money is free ? I think that private finance is more costly than state funding. You believe the media and politicians when they tell us we can't afford it ?
I think that this ^^^ is a very important point.

I remember a good few years ago, having an argument on here with a Dutch guy, who said that in the UK, a Health System should be implemented, which should be insurance-based. He advocated a 'hybrid' health system - but I argued that introducing layers of profit-driven bureaucrats, would prove much more costly than state funding - the middle men have to have their huge profits. Healthcare wouldn't get cheaper or better or more efficient, waiting lists won’t get smaller. We would all simply pay more - for less care. A handful of people will get rich…so there is that!

With regard to the water companies, they have “woefully inadequate” drought plans. They make record profits, pay record dividends, lose a couple of billion litres a day to leaks, dump sewage, built no new reservoirs since privatisation - because to address any of these issues would eat into profits.

Where any system has 'private' finance, who are the beneficiaries ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom