Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It's absolutely a subsidy to LLs. Landlord Benefit has been professional slang for Housing Benefit since God was a wee lad.

The mechanism by which it's set is market rates in the area. If people will pay £1k/month for substandard housing (say) within the M25, and they will whether or not they're on benefits it needs way more policing than going round benefit claimants' gaffs.

My world is not within the M25

multitool

Those of us with long memories remember the election of '92.

If you want to understand Labour's current electoral strategy, it is there that you have to look.

D

Deleted member 49

If you want to understand Labour's current electoral strategy, it is there that you have to look.
It's 2023 different time and different problems.

multitool

It's 2023 different time and different problems.

Same electoral problem. Much worse social and economic problems.

multitool

Offering nothing to solve those social and economic problems.

They are intractable problems. If it was as easy as throwing money at it, paid for by taxing the wealthy, then they would do it, but as I've said to you, every action has negative consequences.

It's clear that Labour are avoiding the same accusations of economic incompetence that lost them the 92 election and committing to increasing growth to finance the social policies they would like to implement.

For all your accusations against Labour of having no solutions, you have to remember that you don't have any either, beyond blurting the first thing that comes into your mind. No thought process involved, no depth of knowledge on which to support it.

D

Deleted member 49

They are intractable problems. If it was as easy as throwing money at it, paid for by taxing the wealthy, then they would do it, but as I've said to you, every action has negative consequences.

It's clear that Labour are avoiding the same accusations of economic incompetence that lost them the 92 election and committing to increasing growth to finance the social policies they would like to implement.

For all your accusations against Labour of having no solutions, you have to remember that you don't have any either, beyond blurting the first thing that comes into your mind. No thought process involved, no depth of knowledge on which to support it.
The great strategist Tool 🤣

multitool

The great strategist Tool 🤣

So, go on then. Lay out your analysis of the problems facing an incoming Labour government and how they should solve it. Don't forget to include constraints and consequences.

Should be easy for a megabrain like you.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

The term "investing" is often used (not by you), it needs to made clear that spending money and investing are not, necessarily the same thing.

Reactions: C R

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed

I think it's understood that if you have bought wholesale into The Starmer Project, you may feel have no choice but to keep telling yourself this sort of thing - that it's incredibly subtle & elegant 19-D chess, incomprehensible to the simplistic walnut-brains of those who can only see its ugly, callous face value.

But sometimes, ideologically-motivated & functionless performative cruelty is only ideologically-motivated & functionless performative cruelty, and in their craven desperation to seize the support of the vilest, whether they be electorate or media, I think Labour are alienating & driving away far more support than they are gaining. Right now, I'd put a tenner on the Tories winning the next election.

Top Bottom