Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Well it’s closer to the right ballpark, I think. If 2,500,000 is 8% that gives a total number of households of about 31,000,000. ONS says 27,800,000 which is pretty close.

I would agree. However, that is Households. PAYE is not levied on Households, but, on Individuals.

Reactions: C R
I would agree. However, that is Households. PAYE is not levied on Households, but, on Individuals.

You brought up households. What’s your point, caller?

BoldonLad

You brought up households. What’s your point, caller?

The figures I found referred to households

It is all academic, since the really wealthy do not piss about with PAYE, like us common folk.

My point, as I thought was obvious, is that throwaway remarks like "tax the wealthy" are pointless, unless the poster is able to define who "the Wealthy". are. Said poster then put a figure of £100k pa PAYE on it (I assume he and his partner earn less than that).

Last edited:
The figures I found referred to households

My point, as I thought was obvious, is that throwaway remarks like "tax the wealthy" are pointless, unless the poster is able to define who "the Wealthy". are. Said poster then put a figure of £100k pa PAYE on it (I assume he and his partner earn less than that.
The top 8% of either households or individuals seems like a reasonable starting point, doesn’t it?
It is all academic, since the really wealthy do not piss about with PAYE, like us common folk.
On that we can agree.

D

Deleted member 49

It's mostly bollox spouted on here though isn't it,from Tool trying to defend a useless Labour party to Boldon thinking he's found some sort of gotcha.If we want a fairer country and things to work we've got to pay.Arguing over what is wealthy is laughable.Feck this Labour party can't even support workers on strike ! Tax the banks,tax big corporations,tax the avoiders etc etc.If Labour aren't on the side of the needy what are they for ?
We're supposed to be the sixth richest country in the world ? but half that money is in the hands of 10% of the population...I honestly couldn't give a feck if they threaten to p1ss of or cry about not wanting to pay their share.
I'll save you the winking emoji Boldon.

D

Deleted member 49

Don't think it is me who needs to keep up, unless of course you didn't quote figures relating to Blackpool's alleged budget cuts?
In the other thread..But you have a point for a change don't you ?
You think they were wasting the billions before and it was nothing to do with the cuts or Austerity that's led to it becoming the most deprived area of the UK.

BoldonLad

It's mostly bollox spouted on here though isn't it,from Tool trying to defend a useless Labour party to Boldon thinking he's found some sort of gotcha.If we want a fairer country and things to work we've got to pay.Arguing over what is wealthy is laughable.Feck this Labour party can't even support workers on strike ! Tax the banks,tax big corporations,tax the avoiders etc etc.If Labour aren't on the side of the needy what are they for ?
We're supposed to be the sixth richest country in the world ? but half that money is in the hands of 10% of the population...I honestly couldn't give a feck if they threaten to p1ss of or cry about not wanting to pay their share.
I'll save you the winking emoji Boldon.

It most certainly is, from some quarters.

I. don't quite see how shouting "tax the feckers" actually helps, especially if "the feckers" changes as required.

BoldonLad

In the other thread..But you have a point for a change don't you ?
You think they were wasting the billions before and it was nothing to do with the cuts or Austerity that's led to it becoming the most deprived area of the UK.

You are rather black and white aren't you?

I merely raised the possibility that there may have been waste.

Looks like Blackpool can't even come first in the "deprived league", Jaywalk and Middlesboro appear to have a better claim

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49812519

multitool

It most certainly is, from some quarters.

I. don't quite see how shouting "tax the feckers" actually helps, especially if "the feckers" changes as required.

Adam has a point. Wealth inequality has grown because the top 0.5% have somehow managed to become inordinately wealthy in recent decades, starting during the Labour govt.

Taxation is one lever to change this but it is notoriously difficult to apply and fraughtvwith difficulties and unforeseen inequities and consequences (as Adam would know if he actually stopped screeching, shut the fark up for a moment and instead took to time learn about the subject)

Take Wealth Tax. Many European countries adopted them in the 90s, only to abandon them when they proved ineffective. UK has never had one, but it was planning one in the mid 70s when the country was in a state of high inflation and frequent strikes (sound familiar) Denis Healey abandoned it when he realised it would cost more to enact than it would generate.

Just screeching "tax the rich", and then throwing out an arbitrary income at which it would start won't do, because it is ill-considered and based on fark all.

BoldonLad

Adam has a point. Wealth inequality has grown because the top 0.5% have somehow managed to become inordinately wealthy in recent decades, starting during the Labour govt.

Taxation is one lever to change this but it is notoriously difficult to apply and fraughtvwith difficulties and unforeseen inequities and consequences (as Adam would know if he actually stopped screeching, shut the fark up for a moment and instead took to time learn about the subject)

Take Wealth Tax. Many European countries adopted them in the 90s, only to abandon them when they proved ineffective. UK has never had one, but it was planning one in the mid 70s when the country was in a state of high inflation and frequent strikes (sound familiar) Denis Healey abandoned it when he realised it would cost more to enact than it would generate.

Just screeching "tax the rich", and then throwing out an arbitrary income at which it would start won't do, because it is ill-considered and based on fark all.

What fast moving target this is, top 10%, top 8%, now, we are on the top 0.5%!

Quite, I think that is where I came in?

But, time for a circling.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 49

Night babe

View: https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1699837108972843302?t=6HlBooVbLGh5iYFXKfrkTw&s=19

Top Bottom