Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
You can LOL all you like, but directly because of Corbyn, Starmer has to be very careful what he says on anything to do with Israel.

If you can't see that, you are an idiot.

He could say that as per the advice given alongside the IHRA working definition of antisemitism he in no way holds Jews collectively responsible for the actions of the state of Israel.

C R

Über Member
He could say that as per the advice given alongside the IHRA working definition of antisemitism he in no way holds Jews collectively responsible for the actions of the state of Israel.

Don't worry, the IHRA will soon close that loophole. Antisemitism schmantisemitism.

multitool

So far he has made a successful start to his career as leader out of not being Corbyn, partly due to the suicidal tendencies of the Tories,

Let us hope that, if he gets to be PM, he realises he has to be a little bit more than just not Corbyn.

You seem to have faith that he will, some others need a bit more than faith.

I think that is both a little unfair and a little blinkered.

The Labour party circa winter 2019 was in the toilet. Smashed to pieces in the election, and smashed in the public perception. Look at it now. It is not where it is now just because the Tories are so sunk.

The likes of Adam will never be happy, because he prefers to persist with his fantasy that Corbyn was electable and that his policies were feasible. Starmer might not stand there and tell everybody what they want to hear and get his name chanted, but he looks like he's going to deliver a Labour landslide. It isn't just because the Tories are washed up any more than Blair's victories were.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I think that is both a little unfair and a little blinkered.

The Labour party circa winter 2019 was in the toilet. Smashed to pieces in the election, and smashed in the public perception. Look at it now. It is not where it is now just because the Tories are so sunk.

The likes of Adam will never be happy, because he prefers to persist with his fantasy that Corbyn was electable and that his policies were feasible. Starmer might not stand there and tell everybody what they want to hear and get his name chanted, but he looks like he's going to deliver a Labour landslide. It isn't just because the Tories are washed up any more than Blair's victories were.

Yes, I know all that (that is why I deliberately used the word partly), and I broadly agree with you about Corbyn. Starmer had to show he wasn't Corbyn and show the public that the party was electable. That part looks to have been successful, even though it has not unexpectedly upset and alienated some on the left of the party.

It is a personal weakness of mine that I like to see some evidence from politicians that they have an idea of the policies they will enact if they get into power before I fully support them and I am still waiting for Starmer to show who he is rather than who he is not on that front. He has been strong enough to wrest back control of the party from the Corbynists and the manifesto for the next election will give some idea of his convictions and policies.

It is still hope over expectation for me.

D

Deleted member 49

It's looking like the most likely outcome of the next election is a right-wing Labour majority, committed to austerity, in the middle of a major cost of living crisis.
Adam will never be happy 🙄

Rusty Nails

Country Member
It's looking like the most likely outcome of the next election is a right-wing Labour majority, committed to austerity, in the middle of a major cost of living crisis.
Adam will never be happy 🙄

Because being a left-wing Labour Party was such an electoral success...for the Tories.

It is not as if the only options for government are strict austerity vs spend, spend, spend.

A problem is that it is all smoke and mirrors from Starmer until the manifesto is published, and there will still be some doubt until we see how he will govern after that. ( I hate making this big assumption that the win is a certainty)

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Can't think of anything that isn't depressing to say in this thread, so just enjoy this...

View: https://twitter.com/AJBM17/status/1712157353796075690?t=Xn0w8uvkDc1wg9o5lM_gkg&s=19

albion

Guru
I wonder what it would have been like if the Blair era had social media, that also being when labour were last electable.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Anyway, let's have a show of hands. Tactical voting considerations are all very well, of course, but they have visceral limits. Who can actually bring themselves to vote for this shower of c*nts?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
:wahhey:

In my constituency the only realistic choice is between Labour or Tory. No other party has a cat in hell's chance, not even Plaid who could be an option.

Now if the SWP stood that afore-mentioned cat would be amongst the pigeons.

D

Deleted member 49

Anyway, let's have a show of hands. Tactical voting considerations are all very well, of course, but they have visceral limits. Who can actually bring themselves to vote for this shower of c*nts?
I'm waiting for the manifesto 🙄

Top Bottom