Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Vote share massively increased.

Didn't get any more votes though did they? Most people CBA.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
See my edit. Second biggest swing to Labour in a by election for 50 years.

Only here could people try and cast a massive win as a loss.

You people :laugh:

I'm just saying that 30% of 40% of the electorate isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Reactions: C R

C R

Über Member
Vote share massively increased.

Second biggest swing to Labour in a by election for 50 years.

Not really, or not anywhere the level that the con vote collapsed. In Tamworth labour share went up approx 22%, tory down approx 26%. In Mid Beds labour went up approx 12%, tory down approx 29%.

In Tamworth you could say labour just about won it. In Mid Beds the tories lost it.

multitool

I'm just saying that 30% of 40% of the electorate isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Voter turnout in by elections is almost always lower, so it'll you take raw votes it isn't comparable to a GE.

As a % it's a massive swing to Labour. A safe Tory never-Labour seat bring won by Labour.

multitool

Not really, or not anywhere the level that the con vote collapsed. In Tamworth labour share went up approx 22%, tory down approx 26%. In Mid Beds labour went up approx 12%, tory down approx 29%.

In Tamworth you could say labour just about won it. In Mid Beds the tories lost it.

Remind me when Tamworth was last a Labour seat?

"Just about" winning this seat was still a massive achievement. Decontextualising it does not tell you anything.

Because it is a both a massive repudiation of Corbyn and a validation of Starmer's detoxification of the party.

Of course while failing to acknowledge the Forde Report, commissioned by Starmer and ignored by Labour as it didn’t provide them with the verdict they wanted. It did prove that Corbyn is not an antisemite. The Forde Report also had a few things to say about the Labour right.

And let’s not mention Jamie Driscoll.

The Labour party’s more toxic now than it ever has been, especially if you’re to the left of Genghis Khan.

The Crofted Crest

The more I read Mults' posts, the more convinced I am that Shep has discovered ChatGPT.

Ian H

Legendary Member
He hasn't allied himself with "the faux antisemitism crap". He's having to deal with it's legacy, and in political terms it doesn't matter whether it was faux or not. He's hamstrung in his result because Corbyn handled it all so badly.

Corbyn's Labour is seared into public consciousness. Why do you think the Tories are constantly referencing Corbyn? They know Corbyn is toxic and that his legacy is a massive, fully-primed landmine.

It's not my fault that you live in a world of idealism and don't understand politics and human psychology.

I think it's more the Tories are desperately trying to make any sh!t stick. They still occasionally refer to Labour wrecking the economy. It's notable that Starmer had to back-pedal from his initial statements.

I'm surprised Warsi still calls herself a Conservative.

Reactions: C R

Ian H

Legendary Member
Voter turnout in by elections is almost always lower, so it'll you take raw votes it isn't comparable to a GE.

As a % it's a massive swing to Labour. A safe Tory never-Labour seat bring won by Labour.

The worrying thing is the number of voters who stayed away. If they were mostly Tories then a general election result might not be so certain.

multitool

Of course while failing to acknowledge the Forde Report, commissioned by Starmer and ignored by Labour as it didn’t provide them with the verdict they wanted. It did prove that Corbyn is not an antisemite. The Forde Report also had a few things to say about the Labour right.

And let’s not mention Jamie Driscoll.

The Labour party’s more toxic now than it ever has been, especially if you’re to the left of Genghis Khan.

I think you are labouring under the misapprehension that it is all about truth. It isn't. It's about perception, and in political terms the ability of an opponent to shape it.

This is why I think Corbyn was such an utter fool. He didn't jnderstand politics. He gave the Tories a massive open goal, and all they had to do was dribble the ball in.

Compare and contrast Starmer's caution over the Israel issue with Corbyn liking an antisemitic mural than claiming he didn't realise it was antisemitic.

.What a buffoon.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I think you are labouring under the misapprehension that it is all about truth. It isn't. It's about perception, and in political terms the ability of an opponent to shape it.

This is why I think Corbyn was such an utter fool. He didn't jnderstand politics. He gave the Tories a massive open goal, and all they had to do was dribble the ball in.

Compare and contrast Starmer's caution over the Israel issue with Corbyn liking an antisemitic mural than claiming he didn't realise it was antisemitic.

.What a buffoon.

You're a buffoon.

Top Bottom