Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobzmyunkle

So we can have a pause which is a "necessary step to an enduring cessation of fighting as soon as possible and a credible, diplomatic and political process to deliver the lasting peace of a two-state solution".
But we can't have a ceasefire because that would "freeze the conflict and embolden Hamas".

At least that's the case until the US of A says otherwise.

It's almost like Keith's watched the Torys imploding and said to himself that's something else Labour should be imitating.

multitool

Pharaoh
What are you asking for when you call for a ceasefire? You are asking for both factions, Hamas and Israel, to stop fighting. But neither want to. Hamas are declaring an intention to keep attacking Israel as long as they are able to. And Israel, understandably, intends to stop them.
But there's a one-sidedness to the calls for ceasefire in that they only seem to be addressed to Israel.

There's a confusion between asking for Israel alone to stop fighting, and asking for Israel to fight within the constraint of the laws governing war.

If you realise this, you can understand the position of the UK government and the major parties.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
What are you asking for when you call for a ceasefire? You are asking for both factions, Hamas and Israel, to stop fighting. But neither want to. Hamas are declaring an intention to keep attacking Israel as long as they are able to. And Israel, understandably, intends to stop them.
But there's a one-sidedness to the calls for ceasefire in that they only seem to be addressed to Israel.

There's a confusion between asking for Israel alone to stop fighting, and asking for Israel to fight within the constraint of the laws governing war.

If you realise this, you can understand the position of the UK government and the major parties.

The UN member state Israel and the proscribed terrorist organisation Hamas are equivalent entities. Gotcha 👍

Jess Philips has resigned from her Shadow post.

(By which I mean Domestic Abuse and Safeguarding, not the secret organisation that protects earth from aliens in Gerry Anderson's tv show).

Last edited:

She says she wants a ceasefire but she’s not prepared to vote for a motion calling for one. That’s not maturity, it’s cowardice.

Of course a vote in the UK won’t bring it about but sending signals is all the opposition party can do.

I’d like some action too, whether that’s meaningful diplomatic pressure or sanctions. Without a doubt I want the UK military to stop providing support, intelligence, and encouragement.

multitool

Pharaoh
For lawful genocide?

You and I have the privilege of saying what we want, because we don't have to work to have influence with other nations. Those that do have to take a more measured path.

The UK is quite embedded with Israel in a number of ways. This is the ugly reality of foreign affairs. If elected, Starmer will have to build relationships with the future Israeli govt. Screaming genocide won't work.

You can condense all of this into one of the most stupid comments I read about last night's events, that "Labour had voted to continue bombing". As if the vote had any bearing whatsoever on Israeli actions.

What is happening in Gaza will not stop until several conditions are met. One of those being the release of hostages, and the other being able to demonstrate some sort of victory over Hamas.

I use the word demonstrate because, of course, you cannot defeat an ideology with weapons. But, none of this is about cast-iron, delineated truths or clear moral boundaries. If it was it would be easier to take a firmer political position.

I agree with you that it is likely that Israel will use this attack as an opportunity for a 'final solution' to the Palestinian thorn in the side. But it isn't tangible enough yet for other states to proclaim it as such.

Last edited:

C R

Über Member
You and I have the privilege of saying what we want, because we don't have to work to have influence with other nations. Those that do have to take a more measured path.

The UK is quite embedded with Israel in a number of ways. This is the ugly reality of foreign affairs. If elected, Starmer will have to build relationships with the future Israeli govt. Screaming genocide won't work.

You can condense all of this into one of the most stupid comments I read about last night's events, that "Labour had voted to continue bombing". As if the vote had any bearing whatsoever on Israeli actions.

What is happening in Gaza will not stop until several conditions are met. One of those being the release of hostages, and the other being able to demonstrate some sort of victory over Hamas.

I use the word demonstrate because, of course, you cannot defeat an ideology with weapons. But, none of this is about cast-iron, delineated truths or clear moral boundaries. If it was it would be easier to take a firmer political position.

I agree with you that it is likely that Israel will use this attack as an opportunity for a 'final solution' to the Palestinian thorn in the side. But it isn't tangible enough yet for other states to proclaim it as such.

Macron and Trudeau had no problem asking Israel to stop bombing babies, in those exact words.

Top Bottom