Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Jeremy Corbyn was famously tetchy when challenged, wasn't he?

So, alledgedly, is Rishi. Could there be a connection?

BoldonLad

According to BBC Starmer is supporting possible changes to the law on assisted dying, as per Esther’s latest outpourings.

Interesting to see if this enhances his appeal to the electorate.

Reactions: C R
According to BBC Starmer is supporting possible changes to the law on assisted dying, as per Esther’s latest outpourings.

Interesting to see if this enhances his appeal to the electorate.

I don't think it's a hot issue for more than a tiny minority of the electorate hence his willingness to take an (almost) definitive line.

BoldonLad

I don't think it's a hot issue for more than a tiny minority of the electorate hence his willingness to take an (almost) definitive line.

Interesting. I know that in my circle of friends / acquaintances it is quite a controversial subject. But, perhaps they are not typical of the electorate as a whole.

When did all this stuff start? The dressing in fatigues or the wearing a hard hat in a factory? The photo op stuff I mean. The eating a bacon butty like a working man or having a pint in a pub? American import in the 80's?

I don't remember it when I was young. I don't recall Mr Gladstone on the front of the London Times removing his top hat to eat a pork pie just like the working class.

BoldonLad

When did all this stuff start? The dressing in fatigues or the wearing a hard hat in a factory? The photo op stuff I mean. The eating a bacon butty like a working man or having a pint in a pub? American import in the 80's?

I don't remember it when I was young. I don't recall Mr Gladstone on the front of the London Times removing his top hat to eat a pork pie just like the working class.

I think all of the dressing up stuff came as a reaction to not falling foul of "the rules" in a health and safety sense.

The eating "working class" food, I don't know what that is about, particularly since the old "working class" cliques are on the wane, at least in my part of the UK. It is years since I knew anyone who kept their coal in the bath.

Where else does one keep one's coal?

I can see the health and safety thing but it does seem that politics everywhere has been reduced to meaningless soundbites and photo ops. A result of all pervasive media coverage and the Internet reducing our attention span perhaps. If it can't be presented as a photo op or a policy summed up in a two sentence slogan people will scroll down or click on to the next thing I suppose.

• Sad
Top Bottom