Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
Didn't Tom Cruise do that next to Nicole Kidman?

[for the younger folk here] Yes.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
[for the younger folk here] Yes.

I always thought that was a bit of an urban legend?

In Days of Thunder she's sat down for most of their scenes, not sure about Far and Away, and in Eyes Wide Shut I think Kubrick used lens trickery? Although I'm sure I read they had raised walkways for him to walk along beside her but that seems like a very un-Kubrick-like thing to do.

multitool

Pharaoh
Obviously you two are too lazy to read beyond the headline and see that it is part of an attempt to cease the decline of the high street and death by shuttle shops, by reforming the business rates system.

And yes, it does make a difference. The 26 fake candy shops in one street owe the local council £9 million in unpaid rates. £9 million buys a lots of services.

Won't bring about world peace and universal property, so yeah...carry on whining.

multitool

Pharaoh
Reducing the appeal of buying social housing stock, and allowing rates for second homes to be tripled

Screenshot_20231227_081047_Samsung Internet.jpg

multitool

Pharaoh
Announcement on off-shoring asylum claims is purely for red wall. It won't work, and they know it won't work.

I suppose this is yet another legacy of the failure pre-2019 to counter right-wing narratives to such a degree that they are seated deeply in some constituencies.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Obviously you two are too lazy to read beyond the headline and see that it is part of an attempt to cease the decline of the high street and death by shuttle shops, by reforming the business rates system.

And yes, it does make a difference. The 26 fake candy shops in one street owe the local council £9 million in unpaid rates. £9 million buys a lots of services.

Won't bring about world peace and universal property, so yeah...carry on whining.

View: https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1739957109784268873?t=3zrx7_0OrYENdRVHYIXf3Q&s=19

multitool

Pharaoh
"Per street".

Yep.

That £9 million unpaid tax is one street, albeit Oxford Street.

I wonder if perhaps dodgy candy shops are symptom rather than a cause? We have one in our High St, natch.

A cause of what? Unpaid tax? (lol).

If you mean a symptom of high street decline, then yes. Clearly. The causes are, I would surmise, a combination of changing shopping habits, local economic hardship and a punitive taxation/rates system.

Top Bottom