Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Yep.

That £9 million unpaid tax is one street, albeit Oxford Street.

A cause of what? Unpaid tax? (lol).

If you mean a symptom of high street decline, then yes. Clearly. The causes are, I would surmise, a combination of changing shopping habits, local economic hardship and a punitive taxation/rates system.

'£9M in the a single street which just happens to be the busiest shopping street in Europe' does not mean the same thing as '£9M per street'. But you know this, hence 'albeit Oxford Street'. Yes I do mean High Street decline, but more generally the hollowing out of town and city centres and urban communities in the interests of capital. Since you have positioned yourself as The Explainer of Starmerite Brilliance to the Uncomprehending Forum Masses, and claimed that this laughable policy announcement is merely the outrider for a raft of oncoming transformative legislation that will finally reclaim our city centres from the ravages of 21st-century Capitalism, perhaps you could outline what you think might be on the table that doesn't sound like it's been dreamt up by Ollie Reeder.

Anyway, I for one am hugely looking forward to the next election and its nailbiting choices between wine in pint bottles and crackdowns on sweetshops (although of course they'll have moved on to Turkish Barbers by then).

multitool

Pharaoh
'£9M in the a single street which just happens to be the busiest shopping street in Europe' does not mean the same thing as '£9M per street'. But you know this, hence 'albeit Oxford Street'.

Good that you are thinking aloud

Yes I do mean High Street decline, but more generally the hollowing out of town and city centres and urban communities in the interests of capital.

Thats kind of emotive guff really. "Hollowing out". There are plenty of thriving towns, but they tend to be the ones where people have "capital" to spend in shops. Shops are, after all "capital"ist entities.

Since you have positioned yourself as The Explainer of Starmerite Brilliance to the Uncomprehending Forum Masses, and claimed that this laughable policy announcement is merely the outrider for a raft of oncoming transformative legislation that will finally reclaim our city centres from the ravages of 21st-century Capitalism, perhaps you could outline what you think might be on the table that doesn't sound like it's been dreamt up by Ollie Reeder.

I stopped reading after "explainer of Starmerite Brilliance" when it became apparent you were just going to do an Aurora.

I dont think Starmer is brilliant. I don't think he's even good. I just don't think he is as inutterably awful as a few here do. But that wont do for the grieving Jeremy cultists. They want complete excoriation of anything that isnt from the Scripture of St Corbyn.

Anyway, I for one am hugely looking forward to the next election and its nailbiting choices between wine in pint bottles and crackdowns on sweetshops (although of course they'll have moved on to Turkish Barbers by then).

More reductive nonsense. That clearly won't be the choice.

Either we have a grown up conversation or we don't.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Your last sentence would carry a lot more weight if you hadn't just brought up Jeremy (again) and didn't begin your post with a vague insult.

I suppose at least you managed not to end it with one, so there is hope.

multitool

Pharaoh
Whereas your post is characteristically pointless. Literally zero content beyond insult.

The irony of you setting yourself up as an arbiter of others' postings is lost on you.

multitool

Pharaoh
It's pointless trying to engage with you in any meaningful way on this thread. Why anyone bothers is beyond me.

Well that would depend on what your 'point' is. Seemingly nothing. At least you are consistent.

My point? That taking part of a statement, decontextualising it, then misconstruing its intended purpose in order to ridicule it, is bad faith bullshìt. But its bad faith bullshít in which a small number of contributors wish to engage.

In this case pretending that a tiny part of a policy reveal is intended to cure all the ills of high street decline. It isn't.

You? You are just doing you.

multitool

Pharaoh
But you aren't stalking me. Oh no.

ps "Doing an Aurora" is now an accepted and universally understood shorthand for misrepresentation/straw-manning.

pps I see you are taking a break from being shítty about trans people.

187. No need to stalk you. You're on every thread handing out more shiit takes than a mushroom factory.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
More reductive nonsense. That clearly won't be the choice.

Either we have a grown up conversation or we don't

The people who imagine themselves to be the grown-ups have been in charge for decades. How's that working out, in your view?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom