Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member

OTOH, the RMT leader offers his support to Corbyn if he were to run as an independent, so potayto potato.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68393822

multitool

Neither article is about a leadership contest. The Guardian article boils down to "Starmer is all we have to beat the Tories, so we have to go with it". No particular enthusiasm for Starmer as such.

The Guardian article is about a possible Starmer-led government. The BBC item is about Corbyn standing to be an MP.

One of those possibilities is a near-irrelevance. The other isn't.

This idea that there is no enthusiasm for Starmer is being oversold. There is enough enthusiasm for him for people to explicitly choose him in polling to demonstrate a 26 point lead over the other possible main choice.

That Starmer isn't exactly what those being polled want is neither here nor there. Leaders rarely are exactly what people want. Not only is it inherent in a system based on compromise, but such a mythical person may not exist, at least outside of the realms of populism...and we can see where populism has taken us with both Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn.

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Neither article is about a leadership contest. The Guardian article boils down to "Starmer is all we have to beat the Tories, so we have to go with it". No particular enthusiasm for Starmer as such.

I think Lynch is saying what I've been saying. GTTO is number one ppririty, a Starmer government is inevitable and we need to make sure we scrutinise and hold it to account. To my mind it's not an endorsement, quite the opposite.

Reactions: C R

multitool

"Mick Lynch has said voters have to “grow up a bit” and recognise Keir Starmer as the only realistic alternative to the current government"

Realistic is the key word. I think what Lynch is saying is that people need to vote for Starmer because its either Starmer or the Tories.

I think it's a call to support Starmer emphatically now, but then hold him to account in government.

Everything about that is right, in my view.

albion

Guru
I think Lynch is saying what I've been saying. GTTO is number one ppririty, a Starmer government is inevitable and we need to make sure we scrutinise and hold it to account. To my mind it's not an endorsement, quite the opposite.

He is supporting Corbyn if he runs as an Independent. Interestingly, or obviously, the Telegraph appear to be telling Brexiteers to vote Reform.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
He is supporting Corbyn if he runs as an Independent. Interestingly, or obviously, the Telegraph appear to be telling Brexiteers to vote Reform.

Lynch supported Brexit. And I think it's probably reasonable to endorse Corbyn as an MP despite his shortcomings as a leader.

albion

Guru
Lynch supported Brexit. And I think it's probably reasonable to endorse Corbyn as an MP despite his shortcomings as a leader.

So did Corbyn, just surreptitiously, a pivot reason we got Brexit. There are strong parallels to Johnson's Brexit 'dilemma'.
Though obviously, the foreign finance and hedge fund clan, the Telegraph, Farage and Rees-Mogg led.

bobzmyunkle

Those uppity Scots are still being uppity.

We don’t think that the speaker of the House of Commons is fit to continue in his role. He was obviously bullied into submission last week by the leader of the Labour party.
When it was pointed out by the interviewer that both Keir Starmer and Hoyle had denied this, Flynn said that was “like me denying that I’m a bald”.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Those uppity Scots are still being uppity.

We don’t think that the speaker of the House of Commons is fit to continue in his role. He was obviously bullied into submission last week by the leader of the Labour party.
When it was pointed out by the interviewer that both Keir Starmer and Hoyle had denied this, Flynn said that was “like me denying that I’m a bald”.

*Mumbles something about being ruled by effete w*nkers*

Top Bottom