Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
That's no way to talk about Hamza Yusuf

You've got your Muslims mixed up.

Reactions: C R

multitool

It's 'Humza'. And you're really not doing yourself any favours.

Yeah, I typed Humza, and then didn't spot that auto-correct had changed it back.

It's the worse crime in the world to conflate two spellings of what is the same name, isn't it.

ps. Just had a quick count of muslim countries I have chosen to visit and its 16, including all but one of the countries surrounding Gaza. Clearly I know fùck all about the Islamic world.

Last edited:

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Yeah, I typed Humza, and then didn't spot that auto-correct had changed it back.

It's the worse crime in the world to conflate two spellings of what is the same name, isn't it.

ps. Just had a quick count of muslim countries I have chosen to visit and its 16, included all but one of the countries surrounding Gaza. Clearly I know fùck all about the Islamic world.

Cool story bro, as da kidz absolutely never say.

And this has what, precisely, to do with implying that a Scotsman is an English Tory?

multitool

Cool story bro, as da kidz absolutely never say.

And this has what, precisely, to do with implying that a Scotsman is an English Tory?

Yeah it was cool. Not all of us have an entirely parochial mindset.

What does it have to do with <blah>?

Only that you seem to have forgotten that Scotland has a devolved government.

Xipe Totec

Yeah it was cool. Not all of us have an entirely parochial mindset.

What does it have to do with <blah>?

Only that you seem to have forgotten that Scotland has a devolved government.

What the howling blue fück are you on about? Are you OK?

multitool

What the howling blue fück are you on about? Are you OK?

OFFS :laugh:

Can you not even keep track of the line of debate you started?

Bit early to be on the Buckfast isn't it?

Xipe Totec

What's your point? Are you trying to refer to this comment?

Just not quite enough to ever make any difference to which shade of English Tory gets to have their boot on our necks.

Which is pointing out the fact that whoever Scotland votes for, the government we end up with is chosen by English voters like you. It's kind of significant to a discussion where, despite your dissembling, you have been sneering at Scotland's elected representatives and dismissing them - and by definition, the people who elected them, as irrelevant.

If it's not that, then I have no fücking idea what the hell you're on about. Maybe you could try and be clearer.

icowden

Legendary Member
, the government we end up with is chosen by English voters like you.
That's not true though is it. The Government of the UK is elected by the people of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

That the Nationalist parties only stand for election in their home nations is a matter for them.

It is, however, another strong argument for PR in that at the moment those Nationalist parties are very much excluded within Westminster.

That's not true though is it. The Government of the UK is elected by the people of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

That the Nationalist parties only stand for election in their home nations is a matter for them.

It is, however, another strong argument for PR in that at the moment those Nationalist parties are very much excluded within Westminster.

The Tories haven't won an election in Scotland since the 1950s.

How many Tory Govs have we been subjected to due to the English Electorate since then?

Xipe Totec

It's a matter of simple arithmetic that Scotland's constiuencies have almost never made a difference to what government is elected to Westminster - I think two Labour governments in the last 60+ years owed their majority to Scottish seats. As @cookiemonster said, Scotland has not recorded a majority of Tory seats in nearly 70 years, so it's entirely fair to say Scottish votes don't count towards Westminster governments. And if the politicians Scotland does elect are denied the ability to contribute in Westminster, say, by having an un-hijacked Opposition Day vote, then it's similarly fair to wonder whether Scottish votes count at all.

Can't find any concrete info, but it's often repeated on Indy social media that the SNP would not be allowed by law to field candidates outside of Scotland - but if they were, and they achieved a majority of seats across the UK, the law would also mean they were not allowed to form a government in Westminster. If that is true I don't know why it would be the law, but realistically it might be the usual Twitter b0llocks!

C R

Über Member
It's a matter of simple arithmetic that Scotland's constiuencies have almost never made a difference to what government is elected to Westminster - I think two Labour governments in the last 60+ years owed their majority to Scottish seats. As @cookiemonster said, Scotland has not recorded a majority of Tory seats in nearly 70 years, so it's entirely fair to say Scottish votes don't count towards Westminster governments. And if the politicians Scotland does elect are denied the ability to contribute in Westminster, say, by having an un-hijacked Opposition Day vote, then it's similarly fair to wonder whether Scottish votes count at all.

Can't find any concrete info, but it's often repeated on Indy social media that the SNP would not be allowed by law to field candidates outside of Scotland - but if they were, and they achieved a majority of seats across the UK, the law would also mean they were not allowed to form a government in Westminster. If that is true I don't know why it would be the law, but realistically it might be the usual Twitter b0llocks!

I can't see how your second paragraph could be true, though it is obvious that any SNP candidate outside of Scotland would have an uphill battle in front of them, to say the least. Personally, I can say now that if the SNP fielded a candidate in my Englandshire constituency they'd definitely have my vote.

Top Bottom