Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I don't. It doesn't matter. The vast majority of constituencies have a majority of more than 10%. There are 141 marginals out of 650 seats and only 37 of those were 3 way marginals in 2017. So if you live in any of the 613 seats that were not 3 way marginal you have only 3 choices - vote for candidate a, for candidate b, or chuck your vote away.

It won't work. It never has. The Green party has one safe(ish) seat in Brighton. Current predictions are that there are 3 more seats where they have a chance of winning.

It does matter where I live because the claim was that by not voting Labour I was enabling the Tories. You're the one who brought up 'my area' and the plausibility of Labour winning.

What are your criteria for a marginal / 3 way marginal and why do you seem to assume I don't live in one?

winjim

also worth pointing out that it won't be needed as Labour are predicted to win by a major landslide.

I know. So I have no idea how my vote for Lib Dems (or other notLabour) would be enabling the Tories.

D

Deleted member 121

Yes. But our only prospect of changing it is to get a Government which is not Conservative. The only prospect of achieving that relies on everyone continuing to play the two party game (and even then it's unlikely).

There is no other option unless a third party appears that can galvanise massive support (see the SNP in Scotland).

Unfortunately very little as the Conservatives played them like a Violin. They failed to stand up for themselves and abandoned their own key pledges on Tuition fees and VAT. I think they have probably learned from that. They did get some of their policies through - increasing the tax threshold to £12,500 for example, pushed for increases in state pension, investment in renewable energy, legislation for same sex marriage etc. They also supported some of the better ideas such as universal credit, the Green investment bank and the Northern Powerhouse and blocked an attempt for a referendum on Brexit as well as extensions to covert surveillance. But I get what you mean. They played with fire and got badly burned. Anything "good" was claimed as a Conservative policy win and anything "bad" as the Lib Dems interfering.

Sure, LibDems sold their soul for a shot at power. The cons had no obligation to make Clegg and Co look good and they allowed the brexit motion to gain traction knowing it would get them into number 10 as a sole power in the subsequent election whilst simultaneously allowing UKIP to gobble up the Northern Labour voters further cementing their goal. Increases in state pension lead to increases in state retirement age. Universal Credit roll out shows a remarkable link with the rising use of food banks and renewable energy and same sex marriage were forgone conclusions anyway given the EU and International consensus in the civilised world. Coalitions should be a good thing and maybe it works in other countries but the reality here is likely always going to be different given the political landscape and system.

albion

Guru
The problem was that a Lab Con alliance at the time was not really doable. And it did give a PR referendum.

Both labour and the cons preferred the status quo. And too many voters were attached to the status quo disaster.

winjim

The problem was that a Lab Con alliance at the time was not really doable. And it did give a PR referendum.

Both labour and the cons preferred the status quo. And too many voters were attached to the status quo disaster.

The whole AV thing was a complete fudge. Weren't Labour in favour and Lib Dems really wanted STV? I can't remember.

Anyway I've said before that I don't think going into coalition was a mistake, but I do think that it was massively mismanaged and the breaking of the tuition fees pledge was unforgivable.

But hey, the massive financial crisis which precipitated it happened under Labour and they also proposed austerity measures so potato potato.

Reactions: C R

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Multz in this thread:

05onfire1_xp-superJumbo-v2.jpg

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Yeah. But if you look closely, you'll see I'm the only one alive. Everyone else has been cremated and I'm impervious.

How does napalm smell to you, in the morning?

multitool

Ah, here he is.

More of a vulture than a hyena.

Hyenas, at least, have some sort of courage and are not pure carrion feeders. Even a vulture seems to elevate him somewhat.

Bluebottle? Cockroach?

Need to leave some space below for bobsmyunkle. The botfly in human form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom