Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
Probably the reason why Keir Starmer ignored the Forde Report.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CqErLp_nE4

He hasn't ignored it.

There is still ongoing legal action, with people suing Labour and Forde wrote to the NEC in February 2021 expressing concern that his report could prejudice the investigation by the information commissioner into the leaking of the report and the potential serious data breach.

But let's not let facts get in the way of things.

C R

Über Member
Even the graun questions Starmer's timorous economic plans

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...onse-too-small-for-the-challenge-the-uk-faces

bobzmyunkle

Any idea what those "radical" interventions that the Guardian says are needed should be? Because the Guardian doesn't.

I've got an idea (not very radical). Start by acknowledging that running a national economy isn't really like managing the housekeeping budget.

‘My mum showed me how to balance the books at the kitchen table’​

the snail

Any idea what those "radical" interventions that the Guardian says are needed should be? Because the Guardian doesn't.

We should be looking at investment in infrastructure, rebuilding public services and public housing etc. Starmer has abandoned his commitment to investment in green projects, which seemed to be the only spending plans. So it seems like we are left with a continuation of the tory austerity which has been such a dismal failure. The only way to fix the mess is to grow the economy, but there is nothing from Starmer, he doesn't seem to have any kind of plan beyond not frightening the horses.

multitool

Shaman
I've got an idea (not very radical). Start by acknowledging that running a national economy isn't really like managing the housekeeping budget.

‘My mum showed me how to balance the books at the kitchen table’​

That's not an intervention.

That's about rhetoric.

multitool

Shaman
We should be looking at investment in infrastructure, rebuilding public services and public housing etc. Starmer has abandoned his commitment to investment in green projects, which seemed to be the only spending plans. So it seems like we are left with a continuation of the tory austerity which has been such a dismal failure. The only way to fix the mess is to grow the economy, but there is nothing from Starmer, he doesn't seem to have any kind of plan beyond not frightening the horses.

I asked the question because its a genuine one, and I'm not convinced there is an answer. And I'm certain that the real answer is not one that anyone wants to hear.

"Growing the economy" sounds like a brilliant plan. But how do you do it?

You could pump vast amounts of public money into public works, as you say, hoping that the money that goes into it permeates down into citizens pockets, but is this likely and will it create some sort of sustainable change to the economy, or will it merely be a short-term flush at great expense?

Because these things are not without vast risk. We saw Truss's micro budget, and the devastating effect of a small unfunded tax cut. All these huge infrastructure and public spending plans would be unfunded because the tax revenues are not there. Ultimately, the investment has to come externally and not from government and the truth is the UK does not seem very attractive to foreign money, with a 30% drop since the peak of 2016-18.

This is not 1997. The underlying economic conditions are vastly different.

Last edited:

bobzmyunkle

Yet other countries, apparently worse off than the UK, are apparently managing to run things more effectively.
Maybe start by looking at what they're doing differently. I'm willing to bet 'supply side' economics won't be mentioned.
That's not an intervention.

That's about rhetoric.
Maybe it is, but the statement came from Reeves and she has praised Thatcher.
She doesn't sound like the sort of economist that's going to get the knackered roads fixed or stop people having to pull their own teeth out.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think we could start by recognising that spending money, and investing are not necessarily the same thing.

multitool

Shaman
No. That might work or it might not. Or they might just drop it next week - plenty of precedent so far. Pledges anyone?
Either way the dentist bit was just one example of a crumbling country. There are plenty of others.

So we've gone from you implying that Labour have no plan for dentistry to now claiming their plan won't work or will be shelved.

You've yet to give your prescription for a "crumbling country" that doesn't involve the risk of sinking the pound.

bobzmyunkle

So we've gone from you implying that Labour have no plan for dentistry to now claiming their plan won't work or will be shelved.

You've yet to give your prescription for a "crumbling country" that doesn't involve the risk of sinking the pound.

Tool does Tool.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom