Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member
Timpson thinks two thirds of the people in jail shouldn't be there. Not sure how that will go down with the general public. Depends what the alternatives offered are I expect. There are alternatives but they cost money (so does prison obvs) so we'll see what he can come up with.

That's where leadership is needed. The government needs to make the case and not be cowed by the naysayers.

icowden

Legendary Member
Definitely a positive appointment and feels very much like the right one.
Well, this is a new tactic. Fancy appointing people who know about stuff to posts that they know stuff about.

I mean, it's never been tried before but, I think it could work!

Are we finally seeing the return of...

THE EXPERT?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Timpson thinks two thirds of the people in jail shouldn't be there. Not sure how that will go down with the general public. Depends what the alternatives offered are I expect. There are alternatives but they cost money (so does prison obvs) so we'll see what he can come up with.

I wouldn't quibble with the 2/3 figure, it may be a bit of a guess, but, I don't think it is far wrong (from some personal experience). However, I think the alternative solution(s) would require more that money, I don't believe that generally we have people with the skills and insight to provide the services required. I am not sure we even understand what is required.

C R

Über Member
Timpson was a ray of hope, but this morning I hear fecking Jacki expenses Smith is being brought back and am back to despondency.

I wouldn't quibble with the 2/3 figure, it may be a bit of a guess, but, I don't think it is far wrong (from some personal experience). However, I think the alternative solution(s) would require more that money, I don't believe that generally we have people with the skills and insight to provide the services required. I am not sure we even understand what is required.

I think the problem at the minute is that the jails are so full we are seeing people who probably should be in jail getting non custodial sentences. It will take a few years to get the balance right. I don't think short jail sentences do much as there isn't enough time for rehabilitation and they aren't a deterrent either. I think that will be one area Timpson will look at to reduce numbers.

The only thing I can think is Starmer wanted a couple of people who had served in government before and there weren't many available. At least he hasn't given Blair a job yet.

Reactions: C R

C R

Über Member
Another ray of hope. The new attorney general is an "antisemitic" jew. It may get interesting if Netanyahu wants to visit the UK. Hopefully no repeat of the shameful Livni episode.

C R

Über Member
Hang on, a few weeks ago you were saying Starmer was pro-genocide.
I also said I would be happy to be surprised. Let's see if having an attorney general that thinks what is going on in Gaza is a war crime helps increase the pressure on Israel. The fact that they can't say with a straight face that the AG is antisemitic is the cherry on top.

Appointing Expenses Smith, though, is the same as what the tories did bringing back disgraced former defence secretary Liam Fox. A bit of an own goal.

Ian H

Legendary Member
Screenshot_20240708-093604.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240708-093604.png
    Screenshot_20240708-093604.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 6

Beebo

Veteran
Another ray of hope. The new attorney general is an "antisemitic" jew. It may get interesting if Netanyahu wants to visit the UK. Hopefully no repeat of the shameful Livni episode.

Definitely a legal heavyweight when compared to the previous Attorney Generals in the last few years.
But he does have a history of donations to Starmer which never looks great.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom