Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member
Anyway, are we all enjoying not having to listen to spiteful Tory shît that been the hallmark of the past few years?

Just that is worth it, regardless of whether Labour manage to start rectifying things.

I don't know, Braverman's braying still seems to get a lot of air time.

multitool

I don't know, Braverman's braying still seems to get a lot of air time.

But it doesn't matter anymore.

I really don't think people like Braverman have understood what has happened.

icowden

Legendary Member
Anyway, are we all enjoying not having to listen to spiteful Tory shît that been the hallmark of the past few years?
Just that is worth it, regardless of whether Labour manage to start rectifying things.
Also, just knowing that we have someone in charge who might be crap, but at least is interested in trying to make the country better rather than his wallet fuller. Like him or not, all the reports that you get about Starmer are that he is a really decent bloke. Find a member of the last cabinet that you could say that about...

AndyRM

Elder Goth
She is a liar, and I know this because I once got lied to by a white woman with long blonde hair, so obviously this one’s lying too!

My god, isn’t it obvious?!
SMH

She might have picked a less diverse city than London. But then that wouldn't fit the right wing rhetoric she's perpetuating, which would knacker poor Andy's media algorithm.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Like him or not, all the reports that you get about Starmer are that he is a really decent bloke.
They are? I've not seen those reports.

Granted he's not Johnson, but I've not seen much evidence of integrity and principle. I'd imagine honesty to be integral to anyone's definition of 'really decent blokeness', but no-one's suggesting he's honest, are they?

And how has the reneger-in-chief managed to shrink his wife?

icowden

Legendary Member
Granted he's not Johnson, but I've not seen much evidence of integrity and principle. I'd imagine honesty to be integral to anyone's definition of 'really decent blokeness', but no-one's suggesting he's honest, are they?
Talking about his schooldays, he expresses his disgust at how a friend of his was chucked out of his family’s home for being gay by a father who declared: “You’re no son of mine.” Later, the young Starmer got beaten up in a nightclub after he came to the aid of the same friend, who “didn’t do much to conceal” his sexuality, when he had been attacked by some kids who “decided the way to prove they weren’t gay too was by punching and kicking him”.

But it’s impossible to listen to him talking about the horrific murders of Fiona Ivison or Jane Clough – cases he was involved in as a lawyer and prosecutor – or a more recent visit to a women’s refuge in Birmingham, without coming away knowing that his declared mission to halve violence against women and girls goes way beyond the usual banalities expressed by a lot of politicians.

20 June 2005: Working pro bono, Starmer is instrumental in overturning the mandatory death penalty in Uganda and saving the lives of 417 people.
(pro bono is voluntary work, usually unpaid)

Indeed, much of the LGBT litigation I have done would not have been possible without Keir’s advice. When he was Director of Public Prosecutions, he would find time to look through my arguments and strategies for LGBT rights. From when I started to do this work in the mid-90s, Keir went out of his way to help me. He would want to meet LGBT victims of state oppression from both here in the UK and overseas. It was essential for him to hear first-hand the stories from Jamaicans and Ugandans.

A lot of these quotes are indeed from Starmer supporting sources, but I have seen plenty more examples of Starmer just being a decent human being and helping people. Try to find similar stories about Sunak, Truss or Johnson.

D

Deleted member 159

Starmer says Biden isn't senile

Funniest comment

"It’s sad to see, I think he has periods of lucidity followed by utter confusion and delusions of being a leader. Biden on the other hand is one step away from full blown dementia!"

:laugh:

Comes from a man who can't tell what a woman is 99% of the time

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
I suspect a people's panel however powerful will have less power than shareholders.
Will it be Ofwat enforcing compliance?
The cost of long neglected maintenance will be borne by larger bills for the consumer, not by freezing shareholder dividends? Bold stuff.
The ramping of our bills won't be diverted for bonuses or dividends.. but can still be diverted to service debts taken out against the value of the formerly publicly owner utility?
No mention of legislation, so another 'voluntary' code merely?

Jesus wept.

multitool

Yeah, you are right. They've been in nearly a week. Should have all been sorted by now. Should have got a bill through parliament by now.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Is a Bill in the offing, then?
I fully expected to see our new masters setting up their post-political retirement non-executive directorships on the boards of vital industries that should be in public ownership.
Just not quite so soon.

Reactions: C R

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Yeah, you are right. They've been in nearly a week. Should have all been sorted by now. Should have got a bill through parliament by now.

How long should we wait before becoming impatient about other stuff, like, oh I don't know, ending the UK obstruction of the ICC, blocking arms sales to Israel, and suchlike? IIRC, your position was that Starmer couldn't really do anything about it because he wasn't in power...

Last edited:
Top Bottom