Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Please may I have my vote back?

No problem. You can have it back in five years.

multitool

Then it's still perfectly legal and Steve Reed MP is gaslighting the electorate.

Reed says he has an agreement with the water companies about investment, which at face value looks as if they have agreed to amend their practices without necessarily being forced to by a law which does not yet exist.

It's such a major issue, and so readily measureable, that I can't see gaslighted as an effective strategy.

multitool

Water profits aren't coming home.

Where do you want the money for infrastructure improvements to come from?

Because it won't be coming from shareholders, and the water companies have borrowed hugely. You can't charge them with crimes against laws that don't exist. And you can't make up retrospective laws with which to charge them.

If you nationalise them, you nationalise their debt. £15 billion in the case of Thames.

So what is your solution? In plain terms, please, no ethereal waffle.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Ethereal?

Take water back into public ownership.

Then you wouldn't need 'powerful' public panels, or the risible nonsense of privatised water companies changing "their constitutions to place customers and the environment at the heart of their objectives."

What was previously at the 'heart' of their objectives, pray?

What am I hearing? That water companies will be doing Bono's laundry for free?

This is indefensible shit, and not the (best) hill for you to die on.

Last edited:

multitool

Ownership is not necessarily the most important factor. It's regulation. This much is clear from the differing experiences of water in the devolved parts of the UK.

Reading between the lines, Reed is threatening the water companies with a restructuring of Ofwat. It's a start.

Top Bottom