Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Is a Bill in the offing, then?

I would have thought so. From what I understand the water companies have sneakily split assets away from themselves to avoid exposure. Getting a grip on this will require legislation.

The water companies were planning price rises. Reed appears to be forcing these to be used for infrastructure...unless, of course, it's sleight of hand.

multitool

How long should we wait before becoming impatient about other stuff, like, oh I don't know, ending the UK obstruction of the ICC, blocking arms sales to Israel, and suchlike. IIRC, your position was that Starmer couldn't really do anything about it because he wasn't in power...

It wasn't 'my position'. It was reality.

Now that he is in power, I'm not sure why you are asking how long you should wait before becoming impatient. What's it got to do with me? You are asking me about your own personal mindset. That's your prerogative, not mine. I'm not responsible for it.

icowden

Legendary Member
How long should we wait before becoming impatient about other stuff, like, oh I don't know, ending the UK obstruction of the ICC, blocking arms sales to Israel, and suchlike? IIRC, your position was that Starmer couldn't really do anything about it because he wasn't in power...
Well, I'd have thought that 4 weeks is a reasonable time to settle in, find out where all the levers are, meet the civil service etc. Although we are straight into August... September we ought to start seeing some changes happening I'd have thought.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
It wasn't 'my position'. It was reality.

Now that he is in power, I'm not sure why you are asking how long you should wait before becoming impatient. What's it got to do with me? You are asking me about your own personal mindset. That's your prerogative, not mine. I'm not responsible for it.

LOL. It's s rhetorical question. My patience with with Starmer's dogshit politics ran out around 2021.

multitool

The change is that previously if water companies did not spend funds allocated for infrastructure improvements, they were allowed to distribute them to shareholders.

Now they cannot.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
The change is that previously if water companies did not spend funds allocated for infrastructure improvements, they were allowed to distribute them to shareholders.

Now they cannot.

Funds allocated for infrastructure improvements? What does this even mean? Was there an income stream separate from consumer bills earmarked for infrastructure maintenance (not improvements, maintenance) yet siphoned off to shareholders? Is there no legal redress?

Why can they now not? Because some lay panel of consumers, like the postmasters trying to land a blow on the Post Office, will have their day in... er, advisory panel?

Sheer nonsense. Utter Tory-lite drek, coming to a beach near you soon, at your eye-watering expense.

Last edited:

multitool

I'm afraid the theft has already taken place. £60 billion of debt and £78 billion of dividends. No point whining at the incoming Labour administration for this.

The problem now is how to force water companies to carry out repairs and upgrades without bankrupting them. Starmer says a long-term plan is being worked up.

Naturally, it will do nothing to meet the expectations of those here.

Top Bottom