Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
They aren't trying to bribe me with anything, that's why I voted for them. Instead of offering bribes they send begging letters! This is because they don't take dirty money from tax-dodging millionaires and billionaires.

Excellent.
@C R @glasgowcyclist @BoldonLad do you all vote Green? Or can you recommend a group with even BETTER ethics?

icowden

Legendary Member
They aren't trying to bribe me with anything, that's why I voted for them. Instead of offering bribes they send begging letters! This is because they don't take dirty money from tax-dodging millionaires and billionaires.
Which is arguably a self-defeating tactic. The labour party accepted £26m in donations in Q2 2024, they are in power. The Conservatives £16m, they are in opposition. The LIb Dems £5m - they are the third strongest party. The SNP collapsed - they took no cash donations and no major donations. Just like the Green Party.

It would seem that financial donation is essential to being able to gain power. Thus the Green Party will never be able to fulfil their ambition of changing the political landscape unless they start accepting donations from the less savoury.

monkers

Legendary Member
Which is arguably a self-defeating tactic. The labour party accepted £26m in donations in Q2 2024, they are in power. The Conservatives £16m, they are in opposition. The LIb Dems £5m - they are the third strongest party. The SNP collapsed - they took no cash donations and no major donations. Just like the Green Party.

It would seem that financial donation is essential to being able to gain power. Thus the Green Party will never be able to fulfil their ambition of changing the political landscape unless they start accepting donations from the less savoury.

That isn't the powerful argument that you might think it is. If you think that political parties shouldn't be taking dirty money bribes and in the process making themselves sock puppets to the filthy tax-dodging, climate-denying super-rich, just at the time that we are at the tipping point,then the 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' cliche really doesn't work. Unless you know otherwise?

There's also the point that the Green Party had their best ever result at a general election this time around. People are beginning to cotton on.

monkers

Legendary Member
By the way, I'm not telling people how they should vote. That's a matter for the conscience of any individual, to the point where I have no beef with those who don't vote - no point in enforcing the stupid to take part. But people have the right to know what and who they are voting for, only the media don't seem to think so. Lying your way into office should be a criminal offence in my not always humble opinion.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Lying your way into office should be a criminal offence in my not always humble opinion.
It is. However, they have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt and by that point, the liar may already be out and the damage done.

albion

Guru
The outrage is almost as sincere as Jeremy Hunt.

There are 800,000 + living below the Pension Credit threshold. These people are the main ones suffering, even if part by choice.
People are too busy playing politics.

monkers

Legendary Member
It is. However, they have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt and by that point, the liar may already be out and the damage done.

Ah well that pertains to candidates telling lies about other candidates at the time of election. Fair enough, but it doesn't make it illegal to say that 190 million people are waiting to come to the UK en masse from Turkey as soon as that country accedes to the EU. Or for that matter to rent a bus to paint lies all over it about funding the NHS. Nor does it pertain to the media telling little porkies or whoppers.

spen666

Ah well that pertains to candidates telling lies about other candidates at the time of election. Fair enough, but it doesn't make it illegal to say that 190 million people are waiting to come to the UK en masse from Turkey as soon as that country accedes to the EU. Or for that matter to rent a bus to paint lies all over it about funding the NHS. Nor does it pertain to the media telling little porkies or whoppers.

What about lies like no tax rises?

Top Bottom