Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
What about lies like no tax rises?

Surely a prediction, or statement of intent. Words matter Spen, get it right!

spen666

Surely a prediction, or statement of intent. Words matter Spen, get it right!

Except the wording used was not a prediction or statement of intent, it was a definitive statement.

There comes the problem with the suggested law. It turns any statement or comment into an argument about semantics.

Or how about that statement made in say June 2024 before an election, then in November 2024 we are dragged into a world war arising out of events abroad. Are we to prosecute the government for raising taxes to pay for war costs?

Also as losing parties are not in power they can't be held liable for their claims in same way as they are never in position to fulfill or break their vows

And who do you prosecute?

spen666

Grammatically, yes it was a statement. What does "definitive" mean in this context? You're not doing very well at spinning the text you quoted into a "lie"!

Why not try to deal with the issue instead of trying to be a prick and derail any question or topic you do not like. You've just reminded me why I and most people with intelligence ignore this forum.

icowden

Legendary Member
Why not try to deal with the issue instead of trying to be a prick and derail any question or topic you do not like. You've just reminded me why I and most people with intelligence ignore this forum.
We are. We are pointing out that what you stated was not true and therefore does not need discussion or defence.
Would you like to move onto Labour's electoral promise to mine the moon for cheese?

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Ah well that pertains to candidates telling lies about other candidates at the time of election. Fair enough, but it doesn't make it illegal to say that 190 million people are waiting to come to the UK en masse from Turkey as soon as that country accedes to the EU. Or for that matter to rent a bus to paint lies all over it about funding the NHS. Nor does it pertain to the media telling little porkies or whoppers.
It also applies to candidates lying about themselves and their conduct, including future. But there are plenty of gaps, it is true.

Top Bottom