Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

I get that everyone's pissed off but I don't think he can do a deal with the SNP can he? They're planning to contest the next election on a single issue so any coalition would be predicated on support for Scottish independence. The only way to fudge it would be to support a referendum but then campaign strongly in favour of the union. I don't think it would work.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
E21A15AB-DF64-4825-A6B0-CAD237E5EFA5.png

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
TBF there's a fair amount of recent history that could have been different if Labour would consider working in coalitions, it's not a uniquely Starmer thing. But a bit of honesty about it would be nice.

D

Deleted member 49

I get that everyone's pissed off but I don't think he can do a deal with the SNP can he? They're planning to contest the next election on a single issue so any coalition would be predicated on support for Scottish independence. The only way to fudge it would be to support a referendum but then campaign strongly in favour of the union. I don't think it would work.
Don't worry...he won't be doing any deals....

View: https://twitter.com/msm_monitor/status/1602303496015196160?t=ENUrwtjZkAch4U9DQ5Ez2A&s=19

D

Deleted member 49

TBF there's a fair amount of recent history that could have been different if Labour would consider working in coalitions, it's not a uniquely Starmer thing. But a bit of honesty about it would be nice.
Could be applied to any party...although the last coalition deserves to be buried in the WTF was that vault.

icowden

Legendary Member
If Labour had been willing to form a coalition then that one might not have happened.

Yep. They really need to get their heads out of their backsides and realise that being the dominant part of a liberal coalition is the way into power.

I really don't understand why they cannot "oppose". It's simple. If the Tories want to keep Brexit - you offer a better alternative such as rejoining, or joining the single market. That's what providing an opposition is. If you genuinely think that you aren't going to win unless you offer the same as the Tories - guess what?

You won't win.

Reactions: C R
If you genuinely think that you aren't going to win unless you offer the same as the Tories - guess what?

You won't win.

Or, if you do win, it will be a hollow victory because very little will change before you are ejected in turn.

D

Deleted member 49

Yep. They really need to get their heads out of their backsides and realise that being the dominant part of a liberal coalition is the way into power.

I really don't understand why they cannot "oppose". It's simple. If the Tories want to keep Brexit - you offer a better alternative such as rejoining, or joining the single market. That's what providing an opposition is. If you genuinely think that you aren't going to win unless you offer the same as the Tories - guess what?

You won't win.
Let me get this right you think making the next election all about Brexit is a good idea ?

icowden

Legendary Member
Let me get this right you think making the next election all about Brexit is a good idea ?

Well the current party in power arranged for it and have set it up. We have had a good taste of it. If labour set up an opposition to it then.
Either people will vote

• For the Tories because they think Brexit is great and everything is going really well.
  • For Labour because they cannot afford electricity, inflation is through the roof and the economy is collapsing, and they think that Brexit might just have had something to do with it, and rejoining a trading relationship that could add tens of billions to our economy and stop companies moving out of the UK might be worth a shout.
It's a long shot but it might just work...

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Well the current party in power arranged for it and have set it up. We have had a good taste of it. If labour set up an opposition to it then.
Either people will vote

• For the Tories because they think Brexit is great and everything is going really well.
  • For Labour because they cannot afford electricity, inflation is through the roof and the economy is collapsing, and they think that Brexit might just have had something to do with it, and rejoining a trading relationship that could add tens of billions to our economy and stop companies moving out of the UK might be worth a shout.
It's a long shot but it might just work...

You are quite right, I think Labour should try that ;)

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Surely what will more likely happen is that pro EU Tories will still vote Tory, and pro-Brexit Labour folk will forego concerns about the cost of living and vote Tory (or not vote at all).

Labour's traditional voter base might well hold their nose and vote Tory, but Tories won't hold their nose and vote Labour.

People rarely vote for governments because they think everything is going great, in my experience anyway. They nearly always vote with reservations, or sometimes vote 'least worst' available.

Top Bottom