Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Oh I see,that's why Clegg decided to turn right

Clegg made the mistake of agreeing to be the junior partner in a Tory led coalition. Now imagine if Labour had managed to convince him to be a junior partner to them.

Reactions: C R

bobzmyunkle

icowden

Legendary Member
If I described them as yellow Tories, there'd no doubt be a bunch of people along to scold me for my sins.
Was it a surprise that the Lib Dems jumped at the chance to join Cal me Dave? Not really because they told us all about themselves in their Orange Book.
Yep, and that cabal of middle of the road voters still exists. And it's a big one. The Tories are alienating their traditional middle ground base in favour of their swivel eyed loon base.

I was a Conservative voter. I have never been a Labour voter and it is unlikely that I will become one as I disagree with a lot of their policies. Instead for the last 3 elections I have voted Lib Dem, as I will do at the next election.

I live in a very safe conservative area (Walton and Esher). However Raab has done his level best to piss off everyone in Walton and Esher, and his majority is very quickly going down the plughole. In 2015 he had a majority of 28,000. In 2017 down to 23,000. In 2019 down to 2,000. My forecast is that the next MP will be Lib Dem. A vote for Labour here would be pointless - even Labour have conceded that. By allying with Lib Dems, and agreeing not to run against each other where their candidates have no chance, they would win a majority but in coalition.

So no, it isn't a surprise that the LIb Dems felt themselves to be more aligned with conservative policies at that time than with Labour. Labour wouldn't have had a safe majority and Gordon Brown was massively unpopular whereas most thought Cameron was unremarkable but wouldn't do any real damage.

D

Deleted member 49

Clegg made the mistake of agreeing to be the junior partner in a Tory led coalition. Now imagine if Labour had managed to convince him to be a junior partner to them.
Your fecking right they made a mistake ! They were part of the coalition that ruined this country for many.Voted through austerity, student fee hikes and sold out disabled for a 5p farking plastic bag.Over 300,000 austerity deaths later.....
I wish they'd picked Labour.

D

Deleted member 49

Let's not forget the effervescent Jo Swinson at the last election....if only she'd of backed Labour 😂

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I would change the Brexit word for racist.

I doubt there are many left who actually believe in Leave.
Brexit means Rwanda.

I seem to recall reading in one of your posts that you are located in NE England? If so, I don’t know who you are discussing this with. Not one of my leave voting acquaintances has changed their view, they would most certainly not vote to rejoin.

albion

Veteran
I seem to recall reading in one of your posts that you are located in NE England? If so, I don’t know who you are discussing this with. Not one of my leave voting acquaintances has changed their view, they would most certainly not vote to rejoin.
Pretty much all my acquantances had 1 main motive to vote Brexit. I certainly do not ask them if they have changed their mincl

• Sad
Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

I would change the Brexit word for racist.

I doubt there are many left who actually believe in Leave.
Brexit means Rwanda.

Pretty much all my acquantances had 1 main motive to vote Brexit. I certainly do not ask them if they have changed their mincl

Taking the bolded bits, I do not understand how you can claim the first, if the second is true.

icowden

Legendary Member
Taking the bolded bits, I do not understand how you can claim the first, if the second is true.

It's quite easy. @albion has doubts and does not enquire of his friends in order to resolve his doubts one way or the other.
Perfectly consistent.

I'd be amazed that anyone can look at the current shoot show and not think that it would be better if we had 10 to 20 billion more in the economy from trading with Europe.

BoldonLad

It's quite easy. @albion has doubts and does not enquire of his friends in order to resolve his doubts one way or the other.
Perfectly consistent.

I'd be amazed that anyone can look at the current shoot show and not think that it would be better if we had 10 to 20 billion more in the economy from trading with Europe.

Well, based on the conversations I hear, prepare to be amazed ;)

Top Bottom