Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Isn't inflation 17%? I don't think they could campaign on matching that for the public sector because it might be impossible to follow through on. When you're in Opposition you really don't have much idea what the finances are like till you get in power. Unless he's going to commit to very substantial tax and NI increases at the same time, which seems unlikely. There's a while til the election so I wouldn't rule it out.

I read a thing ages ago that said the public actually want quite left wing policies like nationalisation, higher taxes, higher NHS pay, they just don't trust left wing governments to administer them. Which is why Starmer tries to look a bit like a Tory, I suppose.

D

Deleted member 49

Isn't inflation 17%? I don't think they could campaign on matching that for the public sector because it might be impossible to follow through on. When you're in Opposition you really don't have much idea what the finances are like till you get in power. Unless he's going to commit to very substantial tax and NI increases at the same time, which seems unlikely. There's a while til the election so I wouldn't rule it out.

I read a thing ages ago that said the public actually want quite left wing policies like nationalisation, higher taxes, higher NHS pay, they just don't trust left wing governments to administer them. Which is why Starmer tries to look a bit like a Tory, I suppose.
A lot of the money from a public sector worker pay rise will go back in tax to the treasury ? People will spend more money which will in turn help the economy.Odd that a pay rise for a teacher causes inflation, but a bonus for a banker doesn't?
This Starmer trying to look a bit like a Tory to win is bollox...it isn't helping anyone.At the very least I expect a Labour party to be supporting workers.

icowden

Legendary Member
BP just posted profits of 23 Billion.

£23 Billion

I wonder where all the profit came from ,and why my energy bill is over £600 a month...

D

Deleted member 49

£23 Billion

I wonder where all the profit came from ,and why my energy bill is over £600 a month...
There taking us for a ride...literally !

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

£23 Billion

Big Energy bill, it is over 4 times mine.

Big Company, big turn-over, and, big profits:

Where do BP make their profits?

BP is regularly listed among the largest oil and gas companies worldwide based on revenue. Following a difficult fiscal year in 2020, net profits of BP increased again into positive figures in 2021 on the back of an energy supply shortage and rising crude oil prices.

D

Deleted member 28

@icowden

You're either sh1t at economising, have a big house you can't afford to run or don't care enough to cut down.

I assume by 'energy bill ' you mean gas/leccy or whatever else you use to heat your home?

Maybe turn the hot tub off and fill the swimming pool in.

icowden

Legendary Member
You're either sh1t at economising,
Possibly.

have a big house you can't afford to run or don't care enough to cut down.
4 bed detatched (to an estate agent 5 bed). Some of the cost is the EV, so you could knock off £100 a month for that. I also work from home so the house has to be reasonably warm all the time.

I assume by 'energy bill ' you mean gas/leccy or whatever else you use to heat your home?
I mean what I use for energy. As well as heating my home I run fridges, an oven, tvs, computers etc.

Maybe turn the hot tub off and fill the swimming pool in.
Don't have either. Not living the high life like you.

D

Deleted member 28

Possibly.

4 bed detatched (to an estate agent 5 bed). Some of the cost is the EV, so you could knock off £100 a month for that. I also work from home so the house has to be reasonably warm all the time.

I mean what I use for energy. As well as heating my home I run fridges, an oven, tvs, computers etc.

Don't have either. Not living the high life like you.

Thought they paid YOU to run those leccy cars according to the thread on the other forum!

Anyway £500 per month is still a lot (unless it's an older property) as even my house 'only ' costs us about £450 and we really are sh1t at economising.

1930's no cavity brick walled, original leaded single glazed windowed dormer bugalow with 2 power hungry adult kids at home.

Top Bottom