Strike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
The other side of this: younger daughter arrived in London today and got trapped at Heathrow. No trains! Eventually got into the centre by taxi, I doubt they got any change out of £100.

Two things. I hope this dispute is not the result of a govt that wants to use inflation as a means to achieve effective pay cuts for the waged and salaried. (I'm sure they would never do that, unless my medication needs increasing ... )

Secondly, I also hope this doesn't mean that in the West we think we have an automatic entitlement to maintain our standard of living, come what may. Putin's war comes with a cost. The Ukrainians are paying with blood and treasure, and some developing countries face possible food shortages. A modest drop in purchasing power bears no comparison to this except maybe for the very poor.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I look at the government's statements that public sector workers will have to continue austerity to avoid exacerbating inflation and try and square that with the fact that, under present rules, I will possibly get around 10% pay rise next year to match inflation as a pensioner.

I cannot in all honesty criticise the rail workers for wanting much better pay rises than offered so far by the employers, or public sector workers, many of whom have had real term pay decreases over recent years.

D

Deleted member 49

It’s the attack on hard won terms and conditions from way back that’s galling! Btw it’s not just the posties , the lower rank managers have also been shafted big style as well. They have turned on the workforce !
They dont tell you about the strings attached to their offer.Sunday working no longer being voluntary.A reduction of sick leave and a review of all allowances and supplements.A two-tier workforce, with new starters on inferior pay and conditions.Annualised hours,working when they want you to.
If you won't accept any of that it's 2% ffs !

D

Deleted member 28

I'm in the CWU, telecoms industry, we had an 'across the board' pay rise of £1500 which is about 3% for us. Now as we all know inflation is well above that but its still £100 per month in my sky rocket, but we've just had a ballot whether to strike for a higher pay increase.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
If the whole public sector of about 5.8 million people got an across the board 7% pay increase (which is where the RMT are at the moment) how much would that cost the country?

Ian H

Guru

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I look at the government's statements that public sector workers will have to continue austerity to avoid exacerbating inflation and try and square that with the fact that, under present rules, I will possibly get around 10% pay rise next year to match inflation as a pensioner.

I cannot in all honesty criticise the rail workers for wanting much better pay rises than offered so far by the employers, or public sector workers, many of whom have had real term pay decreases over recent years.

What's that saying again.... don't count your chickens ..... ;)

"Largest teaching union threatens to ballot members in England on strike action"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...to-ballot-members-in-england-on-strike-action

“Teacher workload remains at unsustainable levels. Pay cuts and excessive workload combine to intensify the already serious recruitment and retention problems.

“Failing to recruit or retain enough teachers adds to the workload problems and highlights the damage caused by previous pay cuts, but the government plans more pay cuts and has not taken effective action on workload,” the NEU said."

There was me thinking the NEU also had support staff amongst the membership...

Top Bottom